Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what makes me cringe? misinformed csr's NFCU

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

what makes me cringe? misinformed csr's NFCU

In the world of credit there is nothing that irks me more than misinformed csr's.  Case in point just got off the 3rd phone call with NFCU and being told a different thing each time.

Today was the year mark on my secured nrewards card so I simply call in and ask the credit dept. to review the account to see if I can get the secured funds released back into my share savings account and get a cli.

First csr tells me they dont graduate cards that I have to fill out a new app for a new tradeline.

Second csr tells me that I can request a conversion to unsecured and once they do they will close the tradeline and open a new one.  I told him no I just want to request that NFCU reviews my account and just convert it to regular nrewards card.  He tells me they dont do that and that maybe the system may do it at 13 mos but I cant request it.

Third csr tells me that I have to close the account and open a new one.  I ask her "dont you graduate secured cards?" she says we do.  Simply closing out the current account and applying for another isnt unsecuring the card by any means.

Is there a way to go about this without having to close an account tradeline on the reports and open a new one?  My history is thin as it is and I dont want to make it "thinner"

Ive been told several times prior to this to simply call and request the card be unsecured.  Wouldnt that simply be releasing the funds back into my account and just leaving it as a normal nrewards card?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Link2k
Valued Member

Re: what makes me cringe? misinformed csr's NFCU

Looks like you got the same answer all three times, no.

I would recommend sending a secure message requesting they unsecure. Be prepared for a hard pull and if they say no wait for it to happen automatically.
Message 2 of 4
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

They say they don't, but they do.

You either have to wait for it to happen by itself (around two years has been what's been reported lately), or write a letter to the credit committee and cross your fingers.

If and when they do decide you can be unsecured, the card you have now will just stay the same and the hold on your savings will go away. Your reports will continue with the same tradeline.

If you want, you could probably apply for an unsecured, get it, and keep both until they decide to unsecure. That's what I did when I didn't get unsecured at the 12 month mark. I was auto unsecured with a CLI right around 22-24 months.

Message 3 of 4
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@bostonte wrote:

They say they don't, but they do.

You either have to wait for it to happen by itself (around two years has been what's been reported lately), or write a letter to the credit committee and cross your fingers.

If and when they do decide you can be unsecured, the card you have now will just stay the same and the hold on your savings will go away. Your reports will continue with the same tradeline.

If you want, you could probably apply for an unsecured, get it, and keep both until they decide to unsecure. That's what I did when I didn't get unsecured at the 12 month mark. I was auto unsecured with a CLI right around 22-24 months.

I called earlier again and was confirmed they do unsecure but they changed policy and they auto review at the 13 month mark then every month after.  I actually did apply for an unsecured card with them 6 mos ago and instead requested a limit increase on it this morning

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.