Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what should my next card be?

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

what should my next card be?

I've been away for about a year ever since i went on my first app spree one year ago and aquired the cards I have in my sig.  Therefore if there is a new hot card out I dont know about it yet.  AAOA is 2 years no baddies and one inquiry on each tu and eq in past 12 mos.  Income 56k year.   Looking for something that will land me maybe a 3-5k CL.  Is the barclay ring still in action?  Only reason I'm interested is occasionally I do carry a balance from time to time.  I do plan on requesting a CLI on my NFCU cash rewards card but didnt know whether to do it before or after I apply for another card.

Ive given up on requesting increases from walmart and amazon.  I havent had an increase in about 8 mos so I relax from them for about 6 mos then try again.  I dont know my scores but I would expect them to be well into the low 700 range.  I know I would like the saphire preffered but I still think that is out of my league.  What should my next move be?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Irisa
Senior Contributor

Re: what should my next card be?

What's your utilization on your current cards? Any balances?

Message 2 of 13
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome back the Duck card is hot big CL pretty fair interest.  Yes the Ring is around still fixed 8%. The Duck card is from a credit union you don't have to be a member. Check it out do a search in the forum. Hope this helps.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 13
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Irisa wrote:

What's your utilization on your current cards? Any balances?

about 1,500 balance on my nfcu plat card and I alternate my living expenses IE gas groceries gas station snacks before work etc on my chase and bofa cards but then PIF the statement but I would need to PIF before the statement cuts to make my profile look best

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 4 of 13
Networth
Frequent Contributor

Have you thought about maybe the Amex BCE or BCP? you mentioned groceries, gas, and snacks. Even if they give you a low initial limit its always good to get your foot in the door with Amex for backdating. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 5 of 13
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Networth wrote:

Have you thought about maybe the Amex BCE or BCP? you mentioned groceries, gas, and snacks. Even if they give you a low initial limit its always good to get your foot in the door with Amex for backdating. 

thanks I have.  2 1/2 years ago I had a ton of baddies and no credit and I started with a secured card from first premier.  I have now closed it but read several threads that amex hates seeing first premier on the reports.  doesnt hurt to try i guess

Message 6 of 13
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

@Networth wrote:

thanks I have.  2 1/2 years ago I had a ton of baddies and no credit and I started with a secured card from first premier.  I have now closed it but read several threads that amex hates seeing first premier on the reports.  doesnt hurt to try i guess

Wait, so how many baddies do you have? Were they taken off your credit report? Paid off? I believe you stated in the opening post none, but that's very important so we can specify which bank to lead you to!

Message 7 of 13
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

@Networth wrote:

Wait, so how many baddies do you have? Were they taken off your credit report? Paid off? I believe you stated in the opening post none, but that's very important so we can specify which bank to lead you to!

I have no baddies clean report now

Message 8 of 13
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

If you're into cash back, you should go for Barclay's Sallie Mae World Mastercard.

5% Gas (capped $250 a month)
5% Groceries (capped $250 a month)
5% Bookstores (capped $750 a month: includes Amazon)

That's my next card on the list.
[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 9 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Think you need to do CLI on both Navy Cards... ask for $25k on both and take counter hopefully instantly.

follow that by CLI on Bank of America - ask for $20k and let them counter.

you have called credit solutions for Amazon and Walmart and no CLI?? id be like what's the deal!?

How about Capital One Quicksilver?

I'd apply for CSP if that's what you want also... now!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.