cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what type of activity does capital one like to see when considering CLIs?

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: what type of activity does capital one like to see when considering CLIs?

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't disagree with what you're saying.  I do believe that even though the OPs thread title suggest the QS card is his target, he really seems to be about growing any of his limits in order to have higher limits visible to other lenders.  That being said, my feeling on the subject is that the DC card would grow quicker/steadier than the QS card, simply because for all we know the QS card may be bucketed.  My suggestion would be simply to stay the course and roll with the spend on the DC card as he's doing, as that card IMO would grow quicker and a (say) year from now could probably net him the larger aggregate gain.  Totally his choice, though and there's no way of "knowing" what will work here.  I know that after I got my DC card I gave very little spend to my QS and saw no reason to continue trying to grow it as the card was sort of rendered irrelevant.  I then did a PC to the Savor so that I again had a worthwhile/meaningful card relative to my other cards.

Of course, there are many ways to do it and many schools of thought.  I agree your way described above could be a valid way to proceed.

But why not do bothSmiley Happy  It keeps options open for OP.  Short-term, divert some extra spending to QS beyond the minor recurring charge to grow it, then refocus later on DC.  Let both limits grow.  Rotating my spending between my cards is one way I kept them all current and grew them over time to my higher limits. 

If someone chooses to focus 100% on whatever the current cash-back rate and benefits are with one card, then one could suggest just closing QS down completely if not relegating it to the long-term sock-drawer.   But I think focusing 100% on the cash-back or the SUB too narrow-focused. 

IME, after watching several decades pass in the credit world, I know the only sure thing is that things will change.  That QS at one time had the industry-leading flat cash-back rate, way before DC came along.  And before that, Discover pioneered the cash-back credit card.  So what will it be tomorrow?  Who knows?  That is one reason I like growing all my cards and keeping options open with my different lenders.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:

But why not do bothSmiley Happy  It keeps options open for OP.   

My thought here is that the OP may be in a starter bucket with his QS.  It was originally a Platinum that was PC'd and has remained at the same limit for years.  That to me has "starter bucket" written all over it.  That being said, the OP could spend hundreds of dollars more per cycle on the card and potentially not see a single CLI, ever.  I can understand the argument or thought process to try, but I'm more conservative and would just go with the sure thing personally.  Again, totally up to the OP and if he wants to give it a try he certainly can.

Message 22 of 26
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My thought here is that the OP may be in a starter bucket with his QS.  It was originally a Platinum that was PC'd and has remained at the same limit for years.  That to me has "starter bucket" written all over it.  That being said, the OP could spend hundreds of dollars more per cycle on the card and potentially not see a single CLI, ever.  I can understand the argument or thought process to try, but I'm more conservative and would just go with the sure thing personally.  Again, totally up to the OP and if he wants to give it a try he certainly can.

That may be true and then of course it would change things a little. 

I've actually never had a "bucketed" card as far I know so I can't speak to that but I've heard about it.  I didn't think a $300 bucketed card could grow to $2,150, though??  (I thought they usually stayed really low, like $1K or under?) And I thought more "bucketed" cards started out as "secured" cards?

My QS started a little higher than that ($1K) but eventually grew to $22K.  I just wonder if the card hasn't grown only because lack of sufficient use.  I know in my case, I got denied for some CLIs with Capital One even if using the card if it wasn't heavy enough volume or quantity.  If I stepped it up some for a month or two, then they approved it.  I think that is all it is.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've seen, most CO starter bucket accounts seem to top out in the $1000-$3500 range.  I'm sure there are exceptions of course.  I know nothing about secured cards and only speak from CO unsecured cards being bucketed, which have been documented dozens of times on the forum.  I had one, so I speak from personal experience as well.

Message 24 of 26
itsxluigi
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I've seen, most CO starter bucket accounts seem to top out in the $1000-$3500 range.  I'm sure there are exceptions of course.  I know nothing about secured cards and only speak from CO unsecured cards being bucketed, which have been documented dozens of times on the forum.  I had one, so I speak from personal experience as well.

Is there ANY indication that a card may be "bucketed"? Honestly, I have no idea if this card is bucketed or if it is just from non-use. When I apply for a CLI, would the document stating denial indicate a bucketed card in any way? What I see when I request a CLI is the following....

Dear ____________,
You recently requested a credit line increase for your Capital One account. Unfortunately, your account isn't eligible right now. We know this isn't the answer you were hoping for and we want to help you understand why:

Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low
The credit reporting agency has reported too many recent credit inquiries

This doesn't say bucketed to me in any way. But I've always been worried I was just because it started out as such a low, non reward, small limit starter card, and I've heard Capital One often caps those off so they can't grow. I don't think they'd straight out tell you you're bucketed though.

Message 25 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That may be true and then of course it would change things a little. 

I've actually never had a "bucketed" card as far I know so I can't speak to that but I've heard about it.  I didn't think a $300 bucketed card could grow to $2,150, though??  (I thought they usually stayed really low, like $1K or under?) And I thought more "bucketed" cards started out as "secured" cards?

My QS started a little higher than that ($1K) but eventually grew to $22K.  I just wonder if the card hasn't grown only because lack of sufficient use.  I know in my case, I got denied for some CLIs with Capital One even if using the card if it wasn't heavy enough volume or quantity.  If I stepped it up some for a month or two, then they approved it.  I think that is all it is.

You can grow a bucketed card, it's just like pulling teeth. It's much quicker and easier to close the account and open a new one if your profile is better. Secured cards can't be PCd.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.