Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what would you do? Citi Diamond Preferred

tag
ppiresny
Contributor

what would you do? Citi Diamond Preferred

Guys I am in a situation, got the citi diamond preferred in june with a $9000 limit and I was and still am sure I had 0% introductory apr so I put some large purchases on the card taking advantage of the 18 months no interest.

Bam today I got interest charge. called and they said I need proof that I got the 0% offer, I dont... I even called before I made a big purchase and asked if I have it, they said yes and I swiped away.

The balance is $5800.

I have an amex blue with $1600 balance 0% and discover more $2100 0% and abotu $3000 extra cash in my savings.

would you pay off the discover and amex ( i have a bit more in my checking) and get a CLI when the statement clears and do a 0% balance transfer

OR

Put the $3000 towards the diamond preferred and be left with $2800 balance.

I am so mad, I plan everything out and can pay citi off in Feb when I get my bonus but I will be incurring interest until then no idea what to do please help.

TU 708 EQ 690 EX 708(FCR)

Portfolio
Amex Zync NPSL,Amex Blue Cash Everyday $2700,Barclaycard iTunes rewards $2500,Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000,GAP Visa $1250,Express Store card $750,Dell Preferred Account $1500,Discover More $3000,Citi Diamond Preferred $9000,Chase Freedom $1500,Wells Fargo Auto Loan $19,000 @ 11%
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: what would you do? Citi Diamond Preferred

Just pull your card terms our of your files that was sent with your card and on there it will tell you if you had a 0% offer on the card. If you did (and it included purchases), just fax a copy to Citi and they should fix everything for you. My bet is that the 0% was just for BT and not for new purchases (the most common introductory offer) and that’s why you were charged interest.

If you indeed do owe the interest, I would need to know interest rates/BT fees on your cards to be able to give advice on what to pay/if you should do a BT.

Message 2 of 15
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I'd fight them on that and send them the documents you received when they mailed your card.  

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 3 of 15
ppiresny
Contributor

I dont have it anymore I threw them out. Lets say worst case I dont have 0% what should I do, pay it or pay the other cards and request CLI or maybe look in to the chase slate for BT?

TU 708 EQ 690 EX 708(FCR)

Portfolio
Amex Zync NPSL,Amex Blue Cash Everyday $2700,Barclaycard iTunes rewards $2500,Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000,GAP Visa $1250,Express Store card $750,Dell Preferred Account $1500,Discover More $3000,Citi Diamond Preferred $9000,Chase Freedom $1500,Wells Fargo Auto Loan $19,000 @ 11%
Message 4 of 15
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I'd fight them on it.  Call again and get another rep.  That deal has been going on forever and still is.

Shoot for a BT, if not, you're going to have to pay it off.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 5 of 15
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

Don't want to refute what you thought about the card but... I got the Diamond Pref on July with the agreement that the 0% for 18 months was for "Balance Transfers" not all purchases. I got a Thankyou preff card last year with the same offer.

What I did was make purchases on my AMEX card and did a BT from the Diamond Preff card and it all netted out.

I have no idea why a BT is 0% and regular purchases are teated differently???

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 6 of 15
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@ppiresny wrote:

I dont have it anymore I threw them out. Lets say worst case I dont have 0% what should I do, pay it or pay the other cards and request CLI or maybe look in to the chase slate for BT?

I'm guessing that the only way to fight it would be if you had the original documents, but you could always try calling again and asking for a manager. Sometimes they also put that info in your approval email, do you still have that?

If you don't have 0%, what you would do depends on the interest on your Citi, and what the BT fees/terms are on your other two cards. I imagine your Util% would be too high to get approved for a new Slate.

Message 7 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@ppiresny wrote:

Never throw those documents away.

Under your CC statement, does 0% APR shows up on balance transfer but not purchases?

Message 8 of 15
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

It says right there on their webpage that they offer 0% on BT's + purchases. I would scream at them

Message 9 of 15
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@AF_23 wrote:

It says right there on their webpage that they offer 0% on BT's + purchases. I would scream at them

That's only if you apply directly from their website. Other website portal or mail offer has different offer.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.