Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats the Best of the Best

tag
NewBreed
New Contributor

whats the Best of the Best

Alright yall

Since I feel that AMEX isnt all that it used to be... whats the Hottest Card on the market now (besides discoverIT and freedom) people are dying to get their hands on?

Cap One Cash Back UnSecured: 1.5K
Chase Freedom: 2k
Chase Slate: 2k
Discover IT: 1K.
AmEx Green: NPSL
Message 1 of 78
77 REPLIES 77
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: whats the Best of the Best

@NewBreed wrote:

Alright yall

Since I feel that AMEX isnt all that it used to be... whats the Hottest Card on the market now (besides discoverIT and freedom) people are dying to get their hands on?

Chase CSP seems to be the flavor of the moment for a travel card.  Sallie Mae has gotten a big uptick in popularity as well.  What are you looking for?  Travel? Cashback?

Message 2 of 78
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

I think that the World-MasterCard or Visa-Signature cards are great for those who qualify.

AmEx can be good for quickly raising your credit scores (by 3xCLI) utilization - and it has no AF, if you get the TrueEarnings card through a Costco membership ($55).

Message 3 of 78
Dustink
Valued Contributor

US bank travel rewards or cash+.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 78
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

I think that the World-MasterCard or Visa-Signature cards are great for those who qualify.

AmEx can be good for quickly raising your credit scores (by 3xCLI) utilization - and it has no AF, if you get the TrueEarnings card through a Costco membership ($55).

?   There is very little special about World MasterCards or Visa Signature cards as such.  Many people won't know that they have one or not.   It's all the other features of the card that matter, i.e. Freedom Visa Sig is a very different card from say a Wells  Fargo Visa Sig.

Message 5 of 78
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I don't think the Cash Plus counts any more after all the changes, so you've won your campaign for the Travel Rewards being the best from US Bank...

Message 6 of 78
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I don't think the Cash Plus counts any more after all the changes, so you've won your campaign for the Travel Rewards being the best from US Bank...

Haha thanks. Although, even thought they nerfed the cash+. It is still an okay card. I like the chase freedom with the 10/10, but after that it will be a dud too.

I don't just think it is the best from US Bank. I think it is the best card period for domestic travel.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 7 of 78
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Haha thanks. Although, even thought they nerfed the cash+. It is still an okay card. I like the chase freedom with the 10/10, but after that it will be a dud too.

I don't just think it is the best from US Bank. I think it is the best card period for domestic travel.

Yes, I think the Premier also has its advantages for that,  although currently only when paired with TYP earners.

Message 8 of 78
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Yes, I think the Premier also has its advantages for that,  although currently only when paired with TYP earners.

I'm going to have to look into that. Might it be a good combo with the flexperks?

Message 9 of 78
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

I'm going to have to look into that. Might it be a good combo with the flexperks?

Not really, as I think you would need to commit your spending to one or the other.  Quick feature run down:

Three ways of buying tickets:

1) 15% off base (i.e. not tax) cost of any ticket used by you and up to three others on exact same itinerary.  Unlimited, domestic or international

2) TYP redeem at 1.33 cents per mile toward cost of travel, extra cost can be paid with card

3) Buy ticket from anywhere using card

In the case of 1 and 3 you also get Citi "Flight Points", 1point for each mile flown.   These points convert to TYP as you make purchases, so if you have 5,000 flight points from flying 5,000 miles, once you spend $5,000 you get all 5,000 TYP (plus however many TYP you got from spending the $5,000.  It converts $ by $, i.e. after $20 of spend, 20 flight points convert to TYP).  This sort of doubles the value to 2.66 cents per mile.

For frequent travelers, 1) alone makes this excellent value.

In addition, once a year a free companion ticket for domestic travel.

But that is the redemption side, how about earning.  Currently, the Premier earns 1 point on most things and just 1.2 on some categories (supermarkets, gas stations, drug stores and a few others).  It is getting some extra features later in the year, but obviously that earning isn't great.

However, combined with the the Forward and the 5x TYP (both no longer available) this is great, as between them you get 5 points a dollar on gas, supermarkets, drug stores, dining, entertainment and book stores including Amazon.  Without these cards, more of a wash, depending how you value 1) and flight points.

Message 10 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.