Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when is it time to dump secured cards

tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: when is it time to dump secured cards

@mongstradamus wrote:

I am wondering what is the consensus for when its time to dump your secured cards. When you get an few prime cards like discover and amex, is it safe to cancel the secured cards and get your deposit back, or would it be better served to just hold on to secured card ?

Would closing them cause much harm to your UTIL?  That'd be the only reason I would see keeping them open.

IMHO, if you can use that money for a purpose that makes more financial sense (paying other debt, gaining better interest/dividends, etc.), then do so. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 11 of 23
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Right now it doesn't effect util that much,since I am au on few accounts that have around 10k CL. I am just wondering how many non AU accounts does fico like you to have for optimal scoring?that is pretty much only reason I would keep those 2 secured cards open if they can still help me with fico scoring

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:
Right now it doesn't effect util that much,since I am au on few accounts that have around 10k CL. I am just wondering how many non AU accounts does fico like you to have for optimal scoring?that is pretty much only reason I would keep those 2 secured cards open if they can still help me with fico scoring

Your number of accounts won't change.  Closed accounts will remain on your CRs for 10 years.   AFAIK, number of accounts has a relatively low impact on FICO scoring, anyway. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 13 of 23
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

The reason I was asking was every time I pull an fico score I always get message about not having enough accounts in good standing. I may just let it sit there and report it can't hurt I would assume

Message 14 of 23
jeffg330
Regular Contributor

I have a secured card I'd love to dump but it's my oldest account and I'd rather pay the AF and keep it SD for another year or so...

At the least keep it until the AF is coming up

Starting Score: EQ 609 EX 570 TU 656 March 2012 CH 7 BK 12/08
Current Score: EQ 691 EX 694 TU 713
Goal Score: all 3 700's.
Quicksilver $5000 Discover IT $1500 Barclays NFL $1250 Walmart $1500 CL Applied Bank $300 (secured)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

In the Garden till 12/14
Message 15 of 23
Tuxedo77
Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:
The reason I was asking was every time I pull an fico score I always get message about not having enough accounts in good standing. I may just let it sit there and report it can't hurt I would assume

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this statement has more to do with the length of time an account(s) has been open and not the number of accounts. I may be wrong though.

AMEX: PRG, EDP - Citi: Double Cash WMC - Barclay's: Sallie Mae WMC, RMC - Discover: IT - Chase: Freedom
Message 16 of 23
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Tuxedo77 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this statement has more to do with the length of time an account(s) has been open and not the number of accounts. I may be wrong though.

Well let's see how this plays out. I am an au on an cap one from 2001. Also hopefully amex will backdate the bcp I just got back to 1995,when I first got an amex charge as an au with my father .

Message 17 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Your number of accounts won't change.  Closed accounts will remain on your CRs for 10 years.   AFAIK, number of accounts has a relatively low impact on FICO scoring, anyway. 

It's possible that FICO also measures open accounts of individual types; there's been reports of needing two installment loans open and active, presumably if it exists there it would for revolving tradelines as well.

That's not a given, though personally it's something I subscribe to, and oddly enough 2+2 equals 4 tradelines, which is the historical number as I understand it for not being a thick file.  As always, YMMV.

Personally I still have a secured DCU card which I don't pay an AF on which I may keep around for a while even though I have no use for it except as a payment history farming tradeline.

        
Message 18 of 23
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

It's possible that FICO also measures open accounts of individual types; there's been reports of needing two installment loans open and active, presumably if it exists there it would for revolving tradelines as well.

That's not a given, though personally it's something I subscribe to, and oddly enough 2+2 equals 4 tradelines, which is the historical number as I understand it for not being a thick file.  As always, YMMV.

Personally I still have a secured DCU card which I don't pay an AF on which I may keep around for a while even though I have no use for it except as a payment history farming tradeline.

It sounds like safer route would just be to keep the two secured card till at least when the AF rolls around next year. The whole thing with not enough Accounts in good standing is confusing term to me. According to my latest CR pull about an week ago it shows 10 accounts in good standing. I do have one thats an C/O, is the one account thats an c/o causing fico to say i don't have enought accounts in good standing? I have an few amex accounts that are closed now but are in good standing dating back into the 80s, so i am pretty confused what they mean. 

Message 19 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

It sounds like safer route would just be to keep the two secured card till at least when the AF rolls around next year. The whole thing with not enough Accounts in good standing is confusing term to me. According to my latest CR pull about an week ago it shows 10 accounts in good standing. I do have one thats an C/O, is the one account thats an c/o causing fico to say i don't have enought accounts in good standing? I have an few amex accounts that are closed now but are in good standing dating back into the 80s, so i am pretty confused what they mean. 

I wouldn't close any card out until roughly a month before an AF hits: might as well take the additional payment history and not start the 10 year clock early. 

Take the information listed on the CR's with a grain of salt: I'm not certain they have much more value than the creditor denial reports where they are required to tell you something, but sometimes it's pretty non-sensical.  From reading this forum and a few other places, plus my own experience and talking to someone who really should know, the miimums are around 2 revolving / 2 installment.  If you have that Noah's Ark of credit building, I wouldn't worry about anything else, assuming those tradelines are in your name.  AU accounts are a bit wonky, while they can help, always have your own tradelines as well.

        
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.