cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which CC Companies are more generous with starting CL ?

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

which CC Companies are more generous with starting CL ?

Hello,

I'm new to credit. I started to build my credit 5 months ago from scatch

At the moment i have 

1) Wells Fargo $300 secured (opened in May 2012)

2) Walmart $400 (August 2012)

3) Capital One platinum $500 (August 2012)

All those account i PIF every month and i'm never above 9% UTI

Next month when i hit my 6 month history and i finally will have a score, i plan to apply for a charge card with AMEX to get a 2012 member year

Should i try to apply for a revolver if i get approved for a charge card? or better to wait because i might get again a poor CL 

My main goal now is to work on increasing my limits, so that i won't get stuck with those small limits

i know walmart is probably my best card to get increases every 4 months.

How much will it increase every 4 months? (from personal experiences)

But besides that i really want to know what else i can do 

Some people tell me i could increase my secured card CL, but how much ? is it necessary to make the jump to higher CL ?

Is there any Credit card i should apply for in the near future who are known for being more generous with starting CL ?

It's my first year in the credit industry so right now I have like 6 HP, but somehow on my reports some of them don't show up. I have like 4 the most in any of my reports i saw.

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: which CC Companies are more generous with starting CL ?

I would definitely recommend an Amex charge card, but not a revolver.  If you're approved for a charge card, you could apply for a revolver as well and likely only incur one hard pull, but honestly, you will be denied anyway with only 6 months history.  You might as well wait, the card will be backdated anyway.  While a charge card isn't good for increasing hard credit limits, it is great for increasing spending power.  Amex may give you much more spending power with your charge card depending on your usage then you could get with a credit card.  There was awhile when I only had an Amex Gold card with a roughly $15K internal limit and two $750 Cap Ones.  If you just want higher hard credit limits, you need to grow the Amex charge and what you currently have.  Nobody is going to start you out with a high limit right now.

Message 2 of 7
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I had the best luck with the bank I have a checking account with. They were the most generous. I would look into that, maybe your bank can help you out.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 7
pat0812
Regular Contributor

let's say i raise my secured to $2000

i heard barclays usually match your highest limit

is that true ?

do i need to have the $2000 for a certain amount of months before to apply ? or they don't know how long i had this limit ?

Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pat0812 wrote:

let's say i raise my secured to $2000

i heard barclays usually match your highest limit

is that true ?

do i need to have the $2000 for a certain amount of months before to apply ? or they don't know how long i had this limit ?

I've heard that rumor about almost every lender at some point, it's certainly not a hard and fast rule.  Plus, Barclays will see that is a secured card, not a regular credit card.  I can't see it helping that much at this point, your limited history is going to hold you back.

Message 5 of 7
pat0812
Regular Contributor

some of the secured card on the market show up in your report as a regular card

maybe with that it should be good ?

Message 6 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd say six months as an aaoa will not cut it for most of the lenders being discussed. You should work on getting higher hard limits with store cards, like Wal Mart... I got cli of $75 every 4 mos til about a year in, then got a $400 cli, a $800 cli, and ..... a $2500 cli. Btw, got the wmt dscvr upgrade at two years. :-)

Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.