Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which bureau gets checked for a creditor

tag
proton022
Valued Member

which bureau gets checked for a creditor

I'm planning to apply for 2 or 3 credit cards immediately after we close on a mortgage. I currently don't own any credit card -- I'm listed as an AU on a few. 

Should I apply for all 2/3 cards on the same day?

My TU and EQ scores are 785+, but Experian is below 750. Is there a website where I can find out which creditor would check which score for my location?

Would it be a good strategy to apply to creditors that inquiry  different CRAs such that they don't overlap?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: which bureau gets checked for a creditor

whogavemecredit.com 

People will usually say which the lender pulled, and their location. 

Message 2 of 8
proton022
Valued Member

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
LilNYC
New Contributor

You might have a problem getting approved for certain cards if you only have AU cards on your reports. That's what happened to me anyway but I ddn't have a mortgage or any type of loan either. Chase analyst told me they couldn't extend any credit to me because I didn't have any indiv. Ccs. However, Citi had nomproblem approving me & 2 months later Chase came calling. I think Amex might be hard to get as well.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 4 of 8
proton022
Valued Member

@LilNYC wrote:

You might have a problem getting approved for certain cards if you only have AU cards on your reports. That's what happened to me anyway but I ddn't have a mortgage or any type of loan either. Chase analyst told me they couldn't extend any credit to me because I didn't have any indiv. Ccs. However, Citi had nomproblem approving me & 2 months later Chase came calling. I think Amex might be hard to get as well.

LilNYC, thanks for the input. It sounds like I need to be careful.  I did have three credit cards on my name in the past, but none of them are active now. I do have one car loan. I had paid off the last installment, but the CRA still reports it as active.

Did you have any credit from the past when you got denied? How were your scores?

Message 5 of 8
LilNYC
New Contributor

@proton022 wrote:

@LilNYC wrote:

LilNYC, thanks for the input. It sounds like I need to be careful.  I did have three credit cards on my name in the past, but none of them are active now. I do have one car loan. I had paid off the last installment, but the CRA still reports it as active.

Did you have any credit from the past when you got denied? How were your scores?

Are those cards still on your report? If so, how long ago were they closed & are they all positive? At the time I was denied I only had 2 closed cards  (indiv. Accts) on my reports but they were close to the 10 yr mark. the Chase analyst told me that I closed those accts almost 10 yrs ago & they would be removed from my reports in a few months so they couldn't approve me since they basically have no recent  indication of how I handle credit. It sounds like your situation is a little diff than mine. you have a car loan & maybe your 3 clos cc's were closed more recently? Also my scores at the time were only 656 & 686 but Chase guy said it's not the scores it's what in the report. The 656 was EX & it did have a CO for $440 that was close to the 7 yr exp mark. A few months later when Citi sent me the pre-selected offer & approved me the only baddy on my report was a 3 year old paid tax lien for  $350. I don't know what my score was at the time but they pulled TU which was 686 when Chase pulled it 6 months before & the only thing that changed was that the tax lien hit the 3 yr mark & 2 positive closed cc's were removed. I know that Citi SP 2x before sending me that offer-  6 weeks  before & then right before I got the offer. That's why I think there's some significance about the tax lien hitting 3 yrs but non issue for you since you don't have one.

Anyhow, hope my story helps you figure out what to do. You may be able to get approved for a Citi card but I'm jus basing that on my personal experience.YMMV.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

Message 6 of 8
proton022
Valued Member

Thanks!!

I closed one card about 6 yrs ago, and the other two were closed less than 2 years ago. With that and auto loan, I'm hoping that I sail through. Thanks again.

Message 7 of 8
LilNYC
New Contributor

Keep us posted!

I wiukd suggest 1 of the Citi cards & once that starts reporting Amex Zync (if Amex is on your want list.)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.