Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which credit card to get

tag
netsfan549
Regular Contributor

which credit card to get

My gf,wants to open her first credit card. What cc should she look at with not that much interest. Thank you
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: which credit card to get

I would say it depends on several things. My wife has been an AU on my amex's for about 2 years, but I figured it was time to start building her credit up. I really did not want to get her a capital one card (I didnt want her stuck with an ultra low CL for her first card) and I tried the preapproval site for discover and got the who congrats you've been pre-approved for blah blah blah... I app'd for it and she got denied... I guess they found out she has no credit history after all. I then remembered that she has had a wells fargo savings account for quite some time with a decent amount in it. Figured it would be a good bet to try that as they can see she has assets. App'd and she got approved for a wells fargo platinum. Nothing exciting but they gave her a $1,500 CL for her first credit card ever with absolutely no credit history other than being an AU on my amex. My point is, really check your options before settling for anything that might not be great. 

What does her report look like now? Any history? Loans? Late payments on anything? All of these factors will weigh heavily on her options!

Message 2 of 7
netsfan549
Regular Contributor

No history at all. This is her first cc
Message 3 of 7
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

How about adding her as an AU on some of your cards first? If not then id say try for like 3 different cards if all denied go with a secured card. For the secured route id go BofA. For unsecured try like chase or discover and a CU if you guys belong to one. Good luck and let us know the outcome

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does she have anything in any banks that could help gain her some leverage? If she has a checking account in a bank, ask her to talk to someone in the bank to see if she qualifies for one of their cards. If not, you could try capital one's pre qualification site to see if and what she would qualify for 

Message 5 of 7
CardinalRules
New Contributor

If she's a student, apply for student cards. If not, I would go to your local bank/credit union and see if she can qualify for anything with no history. Otherwise, you might have to get a Cap 1 card. There's no need to worry about the interest rate if you pay in full every month.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 6 of 7
netsfan549
Regular Contributor

She has boa as her checking. We are going tomorrow to see what offer they have. What should I ask
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.