Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which hotel card

tag
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

which hotel card

I dont really travel but I am thinking of getting a hotel type card to go with my csp and amex plat. I was thinking of Amex SPG .. since I get SPG gold from my amex. Plus it is amex so it will backdate to 99. Starpoints can be transferred to a bunch of different things as well. Or would a hilton card or chase marriott?

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: which hotel card

the fact that you admit to not traveling much should make you wonder if it's worth it. 

You can already transfer points to many hotel and airline loyalty programs via the cards you have. I have an SPG account but no SPG Amex. I also have a Marriot account but no Chase Marriott....for example. Now I do have the Hilton Reserve to go with the Hilton HHnors membership that I already HAD independent of the card. And I only got that card because I product changed from a Diamond preferred and wanted to give it a whirl for the free room when you spend $10,000 in a year. No other cards seemed attractive to me at the time. Otherwise, I wouldn't have it. 

None of this is to say that you shouldn't do it. But you must keep the usefulness in mind. SPG points are easily most useful and valuable when staying at Starwood properties. Using them for gift cards and merchanidse is not wise. Bad redemption value. Transferring them to participating airlines in volume does have a 25% bonus but it's still not that great compared to other options like the Venture which gives 2 miles. Transferring starpoints will bascially work at 1.25 miles and it's only for participating airlines....and there's a delay in the transfer from what I hear.

Now if you want the bonus points and want to start staying at hotels, SPG Amex's sign up bonus is quite good....Mariott's and Hilton's are pretty good too. But just realize that they are not very valuable for other applications other than hotels. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 2 of 15
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

thanks for the reply. I wouldnt use the points for anything other than hotel stays or future vacations.

Message 3 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Darkfrosty,

That's great. If you intend to travel at some point, they can add up for a nice vacation. But I just think it's important to weigh the value in every day life. I actually travel some and stay in hotels in a 2-4 times per year and STILL question the true value of having a hotel card. Like I edited into my previous post, I only have the Hilton card because I wanted to convert my Diamond preferred to a rewards card and Citi's options for me were quite slim. I doubt I would ever have applied for it. 

I, myself, am often tempted to get an SPG (both personal and business) and nab 50,000 combined starpoints to sock away for a vacation at some point but I haven't done it. Same with that nice 50,000 member rewards bonus currently being offered by Amex for the Business Gold....maybe even the additional 25,000 points for the PRG from Amex. Still haven't pulled the trigger. That's a ton of points there....but it's not cash currency so I hesitate. I also don't want to pay Amex's annual fees on the two gold level cards. So even if I got them, I would close them before the annual fee hit and transfer the points out of Amex and into something I would use. 

Cash back has a nice security value to it. You can use it for anything. Sadly, those cards are never as lucrative with sign ups because of that reason.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 4 of 15
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

Yea I am not really interested in cash back cards. Mainly just saving up points. The only point systems I use right now is MR and UR. 

I was tempted to reopen a chase ink for the 50k bonus and transfer it to my csp. Also getting a amex gold for the bonus and just keeping my platinum.

It gets so confusing at times juggling cards. 

Regarding the citi diamond preferred..i recently got that but dont use it .. dunno what to PC it to

Message 5 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

don't know what to PC to with Diamond preferred?

Well, you could try the Hilton cards. Keep in mind that the bonus sign up points do not apply.

BTW, the Chase Ink Plus/Bold is the one I am more tempted to get. Since I have a Chase Ink Cash already, I know I can get 1:1 cash value for the bonus points if I no other need arises. The Ink Plus is probably the way I'll go because it's convertible to a no fee Ink Classic, which will come in handy for a PC to keep the account open with no annual fee. The Bold, being a charge card, doesn't have that luxury exit plan.

Message 6 of 15
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

Yea I think I might apply for the SPG. Also I am eyeing the ink so i can get the 50k bonus. How does Amex handle MR point transfers? I mean if I apply for a Gold amex and ge tthe bonus .. can I transfer the points to my platinum and cancel the gold ?

Message 7 of 15
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

Called Citi to see about pcing to a different card. Unfortunately you need to have the card for a minimum of a year before you can. I am so tempted to just cancel this card.

Message 8 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

"Yea I think I might apply for the SPG. Also I am eyeing the ink so i can get the 50k bonus. How does Amex handle MR point transfers? I mean if I apply for a Gold amex and ge tthe bonus .. can I transfer the points to my platinum and cancel the gold ?"

I am not speaking from experience but I have often read that you can transfer points easily. As long as you have an open MR qualfied card, you're good. HOWEVER, if you decide to close all MR cards, you must transfer the points out of the MR program and into a particpating transfer partners points program before closing the MR card. Once the points are out, you're safe.

Message 9 of 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Why cancel the Diamond preferred? It's no annual fee. I left in my sock drawer for about 10 months waiting for a PC to become available. No harm done in the meantime.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.