Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does everyone want an AMEX?

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Re: why does everyone want an AMEX?

^
Perhaps.  I personally think they offer wayyyyyyyyy too many cards these days, especailly in the airline co-brands.

They need to trim their offerings to regain their prestiage instead of diluting the brand giving guys like me not 1, but 2 AMEX cards.  Smiley LOL

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 11 of 59
EmpressLuv
Contributor

lol i did backflips but I was like unless I ent get this card in the mail i not believing it....lol

My Wallet: AMEX Gold NPSL, AMEX BCE 1K, Express 1350, Victoria Secret 2250, Macy's 2000, Kay's 7600, Capital One 1400, Capital One 4000, Quicksilver One 3500; Quicksilver 3000; QVC 3500, Walmart 6000, Pier 1 1250, Kohl's 1500, JCrew 1550, JCPenny 3600, Discover 1500, Lowes 12000, Amazon 2400

Lender Pull: 2/16/13 TU: 672 EX: 681 EQ: 671
Current Scores: 2/6/15: TU 696 EX: 679 EQ: 658
Goal Score: 700
Message 12 of 59
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

I really would like to apply but im kind of scared given that I just added new TLs to my CR and im not sure who they pull and the scores you need. Also there are so many versions, like the charge card versus the revolver...omg. Sure would be nice to open up the wallet and see it there though Smiley Wink

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 13 of 59
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@beautybrainsbooty wrote:

I really would like to apply but im kind of scared given that I just added new TLs to my CR and im not sure who they pull and the scores you need. Also there are so many versions, like the charge card versus the revolver...omg. Sure would be nice to open up the wallet and see it there though Smiley Wink

You should apply for the AMEX Zync charge card. You should be approved with the scores you have now. AMEX likes to see at least 1 year of history to get one of their revolvers.

Get the AMEX Zync now and then you can app for a revolver a year from now and have it backdated to 2012.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 14 of 59
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

There's just something so American about having an American Express card....

also, if I'm not mistaken, it was like one of the first credit card companies ever... like Diner's Club or s'thin'..

I could be totally wrong on this, but it seems like I read that in a credible publication at some point haha.

Also, it is very prestigious, and just about everyone knows how HARD it is to get an Amex.. at least the Amex Blue...or the infamous 

American Express Black Card, which I think is for people who spend more than $150k per year and is PIF.

Good thing I could at least get an Amex backed by Barclay's PAHAHA 

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 59
laboi_22
Established Contributor

AMEX is also the only company right now that still has personal charge cards. Their charge products are great. When I was stuck in $1,000 credit line land, AMEX approved me and I enjoyed the no preset spending limit. It allowed me to use it everyday and not have to worry about approaching the limit. Also it is a great card to assist with utility since it is not factored into UTL. In other words you can let a balance report without lowering your FICO! They also offer a large array of protections that most companies can't including fraud protection and purchase protection.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 16 of 59
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

AMEX is also the only company right now that still has personal charge cards. Their charge products are great. When I was stuck in $1,000 credit line land, AMEX approved me and I enjoyed the no preset spending limit. It allowed me to use it everyday and not have to worry about approaching the limit. Also it is a great card to assist with utility since it is not factored into UTL. In other words you can let a balance report without lowering your FICO! They also offer a large array of protections that most companies can't including fraud protection and purchase protection.

+!

love the ability to charge what ever I can afford to pay for in a month. it grows with you.... if you had the income you could get a 20k limit in a few months of using the card hard. Just use and when its done at the start you may have to make an extra payment or two until AMEX learns your spending habbits,  I have ran a couple grand a month on mine never required an extra payment in the middle. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 17 of 59
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

it doesn't affect your FICO...now theres a lovely thought! I would love spending what i can afford too. Oh you guys are making me wanna pull the trigger...ahhhhhh!!! Smiley Wink

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 18 of 59
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

@beautybrainsbooty wrote:

it doesn't affect your FICO...now theres a lovely thought! I would love spending what i can afford too. Oh you guys are making me wanna pull the trigger...ahhhhhh!!! Smiley Wink

The charge cards does not affect your utilization ratio, but they gain you an extra line of credit on your FICO and increase your AAoA, so in that respect they do help the score.

The revolvers are great, and the service is amazing. However outside the US the card is hard to use, even in some areas of the US as well.

However I would agree that most get it as a token of their credit worthiness. 

Message 19 of 59
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

I know I'm on the list of one of those people who want an AMEX. The BCP is at the top of my wishlist, the rewards (6% on Groceries and 3% on gas) is the biggest reason I want it.

Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 20 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.