why does everyone want an AMEX?

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: why does everyone want an AMEX?

@Razeus wrote:

@beautybrainsbooty wrote:

backdating?? explain please...

Apparently it let's you have the date of your very first AMEX card when you sign up for new cards from them.  That way it looks like an "old" account on your credit report and helps out your credit score in the area of "average age of account (AAoA).  So if you have a card from 1990, and you get a Blue card in 2012, AMEX will back date that Blue card to 1990, giving you an instant 20 year history...I'm surprised CRA's haven't caught on to this.

Exactly. That was a major aspect of the appeal for me. I got my first Amex back in 1987, so when I got back in their good graces and got my Green last year, they reported based on my original member date. That added a TL with 24 years worth of age in one fell swoop! So, a lot of people like to establish a membership with Amex at some point in time, knowing that if they ever decide to add another Amex TL at some point in the future, it will help instead of hurt their AAoA.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 21 of 59
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I don't want an AMEX.  They are not for everyone.  I travel throughout the world and am outside of the USA for long periods of time.  For me, the best cards are Visa and Mastercard, specifically the ones that charge 0% for foreign purchases.

+100

Had them (1978 to 2005), got rid of them, don't want them either....

Message 22 of 59
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
Most creditors see AMEX on your CR's and are more willing to lend to you..

Is that your opinion?  Or do you have anything to back that up?

Message 23 of 59
chris2k5
New Contributor

Chase goes nuts when I mention Amex during a recon. It can be counter productive sometimes.

(Stopped mentioning Amex during Chase recon calls a while ago after some major back fire)

That said, Amex really does still have some magical prestige. A lot of people notice it. Some will say WOW and others will just stare.

For me, I like the MR points, benefits and the wow factor. But realistically, Chase cards especially the Freedom/Sapphire Preferred seem like better options for me.

CapitalOne Platinum - $1500
Chase Freedom - $5000 Chase Southwest Premier - $3000
Discover More - $3700
Barclays US Airways - $1500
American Express Platinum, Gold PRG, and Zync - NPSL
Message 24 of 59
Open123
Super Contributor

There are tons of reasons, but here are some of mine.

1.  One of the greatest brands ever created.

2.  Very and uniquely identified with America - that classic American prestige.

3.  Backdating!

4.  Consistently higher spending ability than any other issuer.

5.  Don't need to bank with them.

6.  They tend to treat longer tenured cardmembers better than new - the contra comcast business model.

For practical reasons, most people who aren't credit card enthusiasts will automatically give any Amex cardholder instant credibility.  Sometimes, this can be very helpful.

Message 25 of 59
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

@chris2k5 wrote:

Chase goes nuts when I mention Amex during a recon. It can be counter productive sometimes.

(Stopped mentioning Amex during Chase recon calls a while ago after some major back fire)

That said, Amex really does still have some magical prestige. A lot of people notice it. Some will say WOW and others will just stare.

For me, I like the MR points, benefits and the wow factor. But realistically, Chase cards especially the Freedom/Sapphire Preferred seem like better options for me.

I'd like to hear that story...

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 26 of 59
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

are they lower your AOAA if you open it up ? How much you can spend on your card ? etc....

@LS2982 wrote:
Both. AMEX has some really good rewards cards mostly their revolvers. Their charge cards gain points for redemption. Most creditors see AMEX on your CR's and are more willing to lend to you. YMMV of course.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 27 of 59
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Warren Buffett invested in American Express, and if history has taught you anything is that Warren Buffett knows a good company. IMO once Buffett invested in Amex in 1964 it's been considered a solid, stable, prestigious company ever since.

"Berkshire Hathaway averaged an annual growth in book value of 20.3% to its shareholders for the last 44 years"

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 28 of 59
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Fun fact: Amex also has the lowest credit card default rate, which indicates they do in fact have higher credit standards!

Who doesn't like a financially fit individual!?! Lol!!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 29 of 59
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

It's just the most respected name in the business.  

1) Recognized American brand

2) Impeccable service many others can't seem to copy

3) Low default rates means they select mostly prime credit members

4) NPSL on some cards means I can do what I need to do with some arbitrary barrier

5) People recognize having an AMEX means your finanical responsible (doesn't mean you're not carrying high utilzation/balances, though)

6) Members understand the dire consequences of betraying AMEX's trust (if I was having hard times, AMEX would be the card I'd keep paying no matter what)

7) Great rewards program without spending limits, rotating categories

8) Basic card benefits come with EVERY card, not just for gold and platinum members.

9) Their card designs are awesome.  I wish the blue card was designed like their zync, green, gold, platinum, black cards, but just blue - but it's nice none the less.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 30 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.