Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does everyone want an AMEX?

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Re: why does everyone want an AMEX?

Can i ask u guys a question about backdating? Next month i will apply for the Zinc card and i was an AU on my moms amex from 1996 and it still shows on my report. Will they backdate me from 96', but remember i was and AU back then. It would be great for me if they do that.

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 31 of 59
Open123
Super Contributor

@quarius wrote:

Can i ask u guys a question about backdating? Next month i will apply for the Zinc card and i was an AU on my moms amex from 1996 and it still shows on my report. Will they backdate me from 96', but remember i was and AU back then. It would be great for me if they do that.

Yes, based on the Amex policy with which I'm familiar.  However, currently AU backdating is very fluid with Amex.  So, YMMV.

Odds are extremely good, especially if you have any documentation you were an AU in 96--assuming the backdating doesn't happen automatically, which it does in most cases.

Message 32 of 59
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate
AMEX AMEX
Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate Backdate
AMEX AMEX
AMEX AMEX
AMEX AMEX
A big ol' CLI - CLI a CLI oh it's a CLI

(sorry, couldn't help it having seen the original meme recently, again)

        
Message 33 of 59
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

@chris2k5 wrote:

But realistically, Chase cards especially the Freedom/Sapphire Preferred seem like better options for me.

I think it's like that for most people, I honestly don't even use my Zync that much. I use it every here and there. Chase's UR points just seem so much more flexible and gives you so much more opportunities to rack in points. This is especially true for people like me who have much more limited income. 

That said, I'm still aiming to get a BCE someday, but I'm in no rush since when I do get it, it backdates to my Zync. I'm just happy I got it a starting point with AmEx. 

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 34 of 59
migo13
Contributor

1. I love the ability to manage all of my spending with one card. I just recently received my ZYNC and had I known how good their online interface was I would have tried much sooner. Track spending by categories, tags, etc. Yes, other banks do this but AMEX does it better.

2. It has completely replaced by debit card.

3. It's safer to use, and comes with great buyer protection (extended warranty, accidental damage, extended returns).

4. I've never been into points until I got my AMEX, but it feels good seeing the points accumulate when I log in to my account.

5. DEALS! Have you heard of the Sync deals on Facebook, Twitter, and Foursquare? I went to a restaurant, spent ten dollars and received a five dollar credit! That's 50% off of my meal. I can log into Foursquare and see about 15-20 restaurants/shops within a 3 mile radius that are offering deals like this. I live in LA though, so YMMV.

6. Look at this thing, it's gorgeous!

AMEX is sort of like the Apple of financial products. Seeing that Centurion on a card is like seeing  on a computer. Not only does it have the prestige, but it backs it up with an industry leading product and superb customer service.

Message 35 of 59
happyhome40
New Contributor

Dude, I truly hope that's not your actual card. 

Message 36 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please, nobody is that foolish. It's a stock image that AMEX uses.

But it is a pretty sick looking card. It's also nice to have the membership reward express as a college student and then back it up by upgrading to a Green/Gold later down in life.

Message 37 of 59
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

I definitely want to be in the club. so what is AMEX Zync looking for score wise???

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 38 of 59
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Zync typically requrires a  640 EX fico, with one or more credit cards reporting with 6+ months experience and decent income, and no recent baddies if you squese in on the bottom they may give you an  option of $200 (no autopay)/$500 (autopay limit with a linked checking account have your account number ready  its a one time offer if they make it else its a pain to get it afterwards)  YMMV. 

If you are above the base approvals you will get a NPSL. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 39 of 59
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

Honestly?? Smiley Embarassed For that "I have arrived kind of feeling"...I know, I know...

It's one of the most difficult cards to get and had eluded me since I'd known anything about American Express and could apply for credit. It basically is a feel good kind of thing. Knowing that toy card hell is just about in the past and that your current credit status makes you "acceptable" in Amex's eyes and you now have an opportunity to get rewards, miles, and cash back rather than excessive annual fees, APRs, and the like. It's a good feeling. Makes me proud to pull it out of the ole wallet and swipe. LOL

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.