Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does everyone want an AMEX?

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: why does everyone want an AMEX?

I like using amex as a daily card because it requires me to be responsible by paying in full. I like the prestige and the dispute a charge process is so easy. I did it once and had no issues! Disputing a charge is also easy with nfcu and discover so I give them props too.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 51 of 59
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would say if you've been approved for one of their revolvers you've arrived in primeville. They are very hard to obtain.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 52 of 59
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I wanted one because that's what all the "cool kids" on the playground had Smiley Embarassed
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 53 of 59
Settemio
Regular Contributor

I have a Platinum Amex charge. No spending limit. I get a minimum one point for every dolar spent... I put 18k on it last month. That is almost a Delta plane ticket... My wife and I use it for everything, pay bills, groceries... anything that will take an amex, we use it... Just pay the balance off every month. I also have the pay over time option too... FYI, just because it says no limit doenst mean there isnt a limit... When talking to Amex, they generally will tell you, at least what they told me, you have a 35k limit. But if you want to buy a 80k item with it and get 80k points, you can call ahead and either get approval, or send them the funds needed for the transaction... that transaction would earn you at least 3 plane tickets...

Message 54 of 59
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Settemio wrote:

I have a Platinum Amex charge. No spending limit. I get a minimum one point for every dolar spent... I put 18k on it last month. That is almost a Delta plane ticket... My wife and I use it for everything, pay bills, groceries... anything that will take an amex, we use it... Just pay the balance off every month. I also have the pay over time option too... FYI, just because it says no limit doenst mean there isnt a limit... When talking to Amex, they generally will tell you, at least what they told me, you have a 35k limit. But if you want to buy a 80k item with it and get 80k points, you can call ahead and either get approval, or send them the funds needed for the transaction... that transaction would earn you at least 3 plane tickets...

With that kind of spending, there are better options for earning points out there than the Amex plat. The PRG or SPG come to mind for Amex, along with the CSP and UA MP Club card from Chase (if you're a UA or *A flier).

I pushed 15k through my Chase cards last month which netted me 18k UA miles plus 10k UR points (via my CSP). There are good options out there for high spending, but the Amex plat isn't it. 

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 55 of 59
Settemio
Regular Contributor

Thanks, but I rather enjoy the benefits of the platinum amex for the travel I do.

Message 56 of 59
antae
New Contributor

Don't think everyone wants an Amex, but in my case when you spend thousands of dollars a year in gas & groceries its a no brainer to carry BCP.  I'm in my 20th year of excellent credit (no baddie, missed payments etc..) It wasn't a status symbol for me.

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Message 57 of 59
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

Coming from the 500s and crap cards with toy limits....it'sprestige and decent rewards to start. I got approved for a Citi Amex AA and a Delta Skymiles. Couldn't care less about it being low on their tier....

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 58 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Such a high limits and quality cards with such low credit scores? What's your secret?

Message 59 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.