cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is it so hard for some to STAY In the Garden??

tag
GreatCreditFor2012
Contributor

why is it so hard for some to STAY In the Garden??

Even tho they know they need to? They still come out and apply for Cards even tho they'll either get a denial or a Toy Limit... Because there uli is high, cards only been open MONTHS, Baddies still on reports, low credit score etc. So glad I've been able to stay put in the garden since May of this year till my Credit profile is OK ENOUGH To start my App Spree. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: why is it so hard for some to STAY In the Garden??

Because of all the new threads about apps in here!!
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 34
distantarray
Established Contributor

cause your in this forum full of credit nerds, point/bonus/limit chasers =p

some people won't ever understand..... like my friends go WHY DO YOU NEED 55k credit limits? Cause it makes my Fico utility happy + just nice to see how much banks trust me Smiley Happy     

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 34
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Life sometimes makes it hard.  Purchasing a new house? So, now I need a Lowes or maybe a furniture card.  Also, the  sheer joy of receiving an approval  on one card MAKES you think about your portfolio or new offers that tempt you.

I am gardening now so I can reach  mid- 700 on all bureaus by January.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 34
clocktick
Valued Contributor

There's no blanket answer here.  There are a ton of reasons why people step out of the garden:

1 They're impulsive

2 A good cc incentive pops up

3 They see someone with a similar credit profile just got approved

4 They don't care as much about the garden as they once did

5 They're done and ready to step out

6 As said above, they moved, got a car, etc. and they're applying for a related credit card

7 It's their choice!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 34
GreatCreditFor2012
Contributor

Yea I agree with you guys totally. It's also nice to know that you won't be on pins and niddles while the Credit/auto loan Company reviews your report cause you know you made sure your Garden was right BEFORE You stepped out. That's also a Great feeling I've been told.

Message 6 of 34
distantarray
Established Contributor

it's just fun for some people, for instance people who already bought a house, cars and no big shopping left for a few years, they can app for anything and everything and not worry about their credit loss. If you have the ability ot hit 800+ you can app for anything you want you won't drop below 760. There's reward chaser couples who can take 20k+ per person each year in reward bonuses (it's been done, with loop holes) but realistically $5,000 in rewards a year is not too unheard of if that's all your doing is chasing points. so just a game for some people.

exhibit A from 1 year of cards

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 34
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

I find coming on these forums can tempt me to apply for new cards that I do not need.  I see cards that I didn't even think or know about and im like I MUST HAVE THIS CARD NOW!! I really need to have therapy Smiley Indifferent  Anyway, glad there are others with the same problem, now I don't feel so alone in the world lol.

Message 8 of 34
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

it's just fun for some people, for instance people who already bought a house, cars and no big shopping left for a few years, they can app for anything and everything and not worry about their credit loss. If you have the ability ot hit 800+ you can app for anything you want you won't drop below 760. There's reward chaser couples who can take 20k+ per person each year in reward bonuses (it's been done, with loop holes) but realistically $5,000 in rewards a year is not too unheard of if that's all your doing is chasing points. so just a game for some people.

Yep, the flyertalk forum shows examples like this.  These are experienced people with lots of credit history, who think nothing of cancelling a bunch of cards so that they can reapply for the same cards (to get new bonuses) in 3-18 months (depending on the issuer).  As distantarray say, most of the time this works fine, as these type of profiles are impacted less by apping.

Message 9 of 34
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I was not loved as a child so I need to gain the approval of others.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.