cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x1 credit impact AAOC

tag
rebarrien

x1 credit impact AAOC

Hi everyone.  I received approval for the X1 credit card and very dissapointed with the limit.  it came in at $30,000 SL which is lower than 2 of my other cards.   I have not actviated it yet.  1) before i activate it, i am curious what the impact would be to AAOC if i were to later cancell or close the card?  Especially since i had no HP.   2) I am also concerned that if i do activate it, they will later renig and perform a HP.    I have been gardening for a while now and i would like to add another High limit card to my line up.   3) i am wondering if i should just go for teh Navy Federal credit union since NFCU seems to have a reputation of granting high initial limits - instead of acivating the X1 card

NiceGuyInTX
10 REPLIES 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: x1 credit impact AAOC

@rebarrien wrote:

Hi everyone.  I received approval for the X1 credit card and very dissapointed with the limit.  it came in at $30,000 SL which is lower than 2 of my other cards.   I have not actviated it yet.  1) before i activate it, i am curious what the impact would be to AAOC if i were to later cancell or close the card?  Especially since i had no HP.   2) I am also concerned that if i do activate it, they will later renig and perform a HP.    I have been gardening for a while now and i would like to add another High limit card to my line up.   3) i am wondering if i should just go for teh Navy Federal credit union since NFCU seems to have a reputation of granting high initial limits - instead of acivating the X1 card

Disappointed with a 30K limit? You can try navy but I  don't think you  will get 30K off the bat with them . 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 11
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

1) If you accept the card you will take all the associated hits with it regardless if you keep it or close it.

2) The HP is probable if you accept it. I and many other early adopters didn't take a HP for it but by all accounts that ship has sailed.

3) This one is up to you. Personally I love NFCU and they are my go to financial institution and they get all my business except for credit cards.

For me their credit cards aren't noteworthy in any way, honestly I only have the X1 card for utilization padding at this point as it's perks aren't that great for me either but they did give me my highest limit so far without a HP. So far they have only reported the account to Experian and even then they only just did that a few weeks ago. So far still not being reported to EQ or TU and the account is getting close to 6 months old now.

3/3/24
Message 3 of 11
RootDet
Established Contributor

I will tell you that in this current economy, initial credit limits above $30k are not common. Navy FCU rarely gives an initial limit above $30k and you will take a hp and get no accept/decline option. 

Most people around here would give an arm for a $30k initial credit line. 

Message 4 of 11
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

If you accepted their offer then they likely already did the HP. You don't have to activate it. People have been reporting them taking a long time for the card to be reported however.

Closing the card won't change your AAoA. The hit has already/will be done. 

Very very unlikely to get a higher starting CL. Because of the current conditions, $25k has been largely the max starting limit NFCU has been giving out recently.

Message 5 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@rebarrien wrote:

What did you expect as a starting limit for this X1 card?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 11
rebarrien

given my high income around 45k-50k.  I haven't activated the card since i received it 2 months ago.

NiceGuyInTX
Message 7 of 11
rebarrien

thank you.   i have not activated it since i received it two months ago so i am hoping they dont report anything and aaoc is not impacted if i dont activate it.   i am reading about poor customer service, not reporting to all 3 agencies, doing  a HP even though they claim they dont and all of this is making me consdier  NOT activating it.  hoping if i havent activated it none of the above will happen. 

NiceGuyInTX
Message 8 of 11
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I am doubtful that failing to activate it will trigger them to think "cardholder changed his mind, we'll erase all this" 

Yes, reporting has been slow to start for some and will/should eventually catch up. The account is open, it will eventually report. If you haven't received the HP yet, activating will not trigger that, the account is open. In the beginning many were SP only, recent DP's show this is now mixed...some SP and some HP though both circumstances have happened before actual account was opened. Your account is open...

Message 9 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Those two cards you have certainly weren't approved with their current limits, so you might want to temper your expectations going forward whenever you decide to attempt an application. 

Granted, this post  is old but useful for putting things in proper context. 

If $30,000 is peanuts for you, just close it. 

It will report, it might mess up your aging metrics,but you won't be forced to look at puny $30,000.00 on your report. 

Please do update if you get more than that from anyone right out of the gate. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.