Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

your favourite credit cards

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: your favourite credit cards

@proton022 wrote:
Do you know what is the best one could for a 100$ AF card?

Are you more interested in airline, hotel, or general travel rewards?

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Among the cards I have, my AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, Chase Freedom, and Discover More are by far my favorites.

Message 22 of 33
proton022
Valued Member

@Open123 wrote:

General rewards card would be better.

Airline card is also game .. at the moment I'm sold out on United's card (99$ one) among all airlines card. I'm not too keen on where my miles get accrued, but more interested in other benefits such as no foreign tx fee, and may be some form of companion travel support.

Message 23 of 33
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Travel cards that stand out to me are the sapphirepreferred and the Amex gold premier rewards charge card. The AF is pretty high on the Amex but 3x points on airfare. The sapphire preferred is just 2x but isn't restricted to just airfare. If you stay at hotels rent cars I'd probably go that route. Plus it's metal. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 24 of 33
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@proton022 wrote:

Thanks for all your input.

It sounds like US Bank cash+ and Amex BCP together can work well, getting nearly 5-6% on most categories. 

I'm still not sure about the travel card though. Creditscholar, I couldn't find  Chase United MileagePlus WEMC that you suggested. Do you know what is the best one could for a 100$ AF card?

My card is essentially the same as http://milecards.com/3838/united-mileage-plus-club-card-review/

The only major difference is that it's a WEMC, since I used to have the old CO PP and swapped to the new version. New applicants are only offered a Visa Signature.

You can find the WEMC benefits here: http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card-world-elite.html  The biggest stand-out is access to Virtuoso, which is similar to Amex's FHR.

For a $100 AF, you will only find 1-2 of the benefits you listed. There will definitely be no full lounge access at those prices. You may however, find a card that offers 2 day passes a year.

The United Explorer card offers no forex fees, priority boarding, primary CDW, one free checked bag, and 2 day passes to the RCC. It doesn't have a companion ticket though.

The Delta Platinum and Reserve both have companion tickets (platinum works only for coach while the reserve also works in first class) and offers a free checked bag, but they have forex fees. The Platinum has a $150 AF while the Reserve is $450 and offers full lounge access.

These cards are primarily for airline benefits. If you want a card purely for earning miles, there may be better options out there like the CSP, Amex SPG, Amex PRG and United MP Club Card (if you spend enough to make it worth your while). The CSP, PRG and Amex SPG are great for racking up the miles, but they don't offer any airline benefits whatsoever.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 25 of 33
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

* Excellent earning power with 1.5 miles per dollar spent

I didn't the 1.5% rewards on ALL spending. 

Excellent all around card. 

I forgot to add primary CDW to the list. You're right though that it is an excellent card.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 26 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@proton022 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

General rewards card would be better.

Airline card is also game .. at the moment I'm sold out on United's card (99$ one) among all airlines card. I'm not too keen on where my miles get accrued, but more interested in other benefits such as no foreign tx fee, and may be some form of companion travel support.

For general rewards and no forex, the best current option would be the CSP.  It has no forex, first year fee waived, 40k signup bonus, and bonus spending in the all important dining and travel categories.  The UR program is an excellent all around rewards program where you can move your points strategically to many of Chase's partners.  

If you prefer a "no annual" fee, then BofA's Travel rewards card is a nice option.  Flat 1.5% bonus all all spending, but without the option to transfer to partners making the rewards program lackluster.  If you travel, any rewards program without viable partners to transfer to isn't very appealing--statement credits just can't compare with the value of strategically transferring points to airlines/hotels.

If you prefer a no forex and statement credit kind of card, then the Cap One Venture cards are excellent.  The $59 annual fee Venture accrues at 2% on all spending making it a very attractive option if you prefer to apply statement credits for travel related expenses.

For me, if no forex is important, I think the CSP is your best option, especially with the current sign up bonus of 40k points.  If forex isn't that important, then I'd say look for a PRG with sign up bonus and first annual fee waived.

Best of luck!

Message 27 of 33
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Mine is AMEX BCP but I don't have one yet. LOL!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 28 of 33
proton022
Valued Member

Thanks guys! It sounds like CSP is my best bet for a travel card.

Message 29 of 33
OptimalFICO
Valued Member

I am generally opposed to AFs. I love my AmEx Blue Cash Rewards. No annual fee and I charge enough within the first 2-3 months of the year to rapidly reach the 5% cash back level for groceries, gas and drugstore purchases and 1% on everything else. Just love AmEx in general for their awesome customer service. But really the best card is an individual decision based upon usage, etc. Sounds like you found a good one for your travel needs.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.