Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zync with express pay

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: zync with express pay

they told me my card will be here between 9am and 7pm.....lol wow im glad its not the cable guy....but i dont need a to sign for it

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 21 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've thought about requesting express pay, but I'm not sure if the convenience outweighs the potential security risks.  Does it really save that much time?

Message 22 of 46
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
I want this card sooooooooooooo bad!
I'm with you LS.........someday we will both make it to the express promise land

Message 23 of 46
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've thought about requesting express pay, but I'm not sure if the convenience outweighs the potential security risks.  Does it really save that much time?

It doesn't.  I've found two uses for express pay. (1) I was at a gas station where the magnetic scanner wasn't working properly so I was able to use my express pay card instead of having to try another pump.  (2) My toddler likes to help, and he was able to pay for things before he developed the fine motor skills to swipe the card. 

That said, the security risks are overblown in my opinion.  You're much more likely to be a victim of std cc fraud than have your information stolen by someone with a portable near field device.  Looking at your statements every once in a while to make sure there are no unauthorized charges is enough to protect against this. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 46
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

got my new card today and it still has holographic strip on it and looks really really shinny...... and its not as flexabile

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Message 25 of 46
in0wh3r3ul1v3
New Contributor

i got my card in august and it has expresspay & a holographic mag strip.

the only place i use expresspay is at the riteaid next to my job. sometimes i run over to get some quick munchies, and it's definitely easier to just tap and go. although, sometimes expresspay transactions take longer to clear.

Macy's Red Star - $5100 (1/2010)
AMEX Everyday - $9000 (1/2011 Backdated)
AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL
Chase Amazon Prime - $8900 (11/2011)
Lowe's/SYNCB - $6500 (7/2014)
J. Crew/CB - $3500 (2/2015)
Target REDcard - $500 (11/2015)
Citi AAdvantage - $4000 (6/2016)
Chase United MileagePlus - $5000 (2/2017)
Message 26 of 46
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Benefits of expressPay:

1. Higher signature thresholds at many retailers. I have found that often I have to sign for a transaction over a certain amount, say, $25, while at the same merchant an expressPay transaction doesn't require a signature until a higher amount.

2. Retailers that are known for demanding an ID for a credit card transaction (in my experience) don't do so for expressPay transactions. Case in point: Best Buy.

3. It is a few seconds faster.

4. The cool factor.

Drawbacks:

1. expressPay transactions don't show as much detail on the AMEX statements.  For example, all I see are a bunch of  "expressPay on Blue" transactions, without much in the way of information as to where the transaction happened, which can be a little problematic for me since I will can a hundred or more in any given month-- 7-Eleven, CVS, McDoanld's, Burger King, etc.

2. expressPay transactions don't count for AMEX promotions like "Like, Link, Love" or Shop Small.

3. I'll mention the potential security concern, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. It's a credit card so I'm protected regardless. If it were a debit card, it would be another story.

Message 27 of 46
teenastie
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

Benefits of expressPay:

1. Higher signature thresholds at many retailers. I have found that often I have to sign for a transaction over a certain amount, say, $25, while at the same merchant an expressPay transaction doesn't require a signature until a higher amount.

2. Retailers that are known for demanding an ID for a credit card transaction (in my experience) don't do so for expressPay transactions. Case in point: Best Buy.

4. The cool factor.

Drawbacks:

1. expressPay transactions don't show as much detail on the AMEX statements.  For example, all I see are a bunch of  "expressPay on Blue" transactions, without much in the way of information as to where the transaction happened, which can be a little problematic for me since I will can a hundred or more in any given month-- 7-Eleven, CVS, McDoanld's, Burger King, etc.

2. expressPay transactions don't count for AMEX promotions like "Like, Link, Love" or Shop Small.

3. I'll mention the potential security concern, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. It's a credit card so I'm protected regardless. If it were a debit card, it would be another story.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but... I believe Amex doesn't require their members to sign for any transaction... Smiley Indifferent

Message 28 of 46
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@teenastie wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

Benefits of expressPay:

4. The cool factor.

Drawbacks:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but... I believe Amex doesn't require their members to sign for any transaction... Smiley Indifferent

Never heard that.  Are you confusing requirements for signature with having to show ID?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 46
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

@steve23111 wrote:

Benefits of expressPay:

4. The cool factor.

Drawbacks:

Never heard that.  Are you confusing requirements for signature with having to show ID?

i work in a retail store and amex requires a zip code no matter how much and it will not go thru if you dont provide it.... anything over $24.99 needs to be signed for anything under doesnt reqiure a signiture

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.