Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: 12 ways to get free credit reports

Anyone ever heard of this one?

6. Check it during your job hunt. Within the first six months of seeking employment, you are entitled to a free report.

And how does one do it?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to be unemployed and planning to look for a job within 60 days.  I would call the CRAs and ask them how you request it.  They probably have different procedures.  For example, to get the free additional report for the states that provide it, you have to request it by mail from EQ, and online from EX and TU.

The article also didn't mention that you are entitled to a free report per 12 months if you receive public welfare assistance.  Again, different procedures.  TU requires you to provide caseworker's name and phone number.
Message 3 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

masdeocho wrote:
You have to be unemployed and planning to look for a job within 60 days. 

Bother. 

And getting fired just to get a free CR does not seem worth it  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:

And getting fired just to get a free CR does not seem worth it  Smiley Very Happy

All depends upon how much with which you can abscond. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

2. Stagger your free reports for year-round monitoring.

Seems like a bad idea, IMHO. Something incorrect lands on your EX report, 2 months after you pulled your freebie, and you'll wait 10 months to find out about it.

Whether you're in the 400 club just riding out a BK7, or in the 800 club periodically monitoring, you probably figure heck I don't need to bother with my CRs. Well, that's debatable, but I think you're better served by knowing what's in your CRs from all 3 CRAs two or more times a year. If you're not in a state that lets you pull more than once a year, you have a couple of choices.

Personally, unless I'm home or car shopping, knowing my FICO scores isn't necessary. If I can see what's in the reports themselves, then that's good enough for me. Some might feel differently.

If you simply need the reports, then sign up for TU TrueCredit for a month, pull your reports, then cancel. Only $11.21 for all 3 if you go thru the Walmart link.

If you feel a need to see your scores as well, then sign up for MFSW (month to month), get all 3 reports, then cancel. One month of MFSW is $8.95 and includes your EQ score and report. CRs and scores for TU and EX is another $31.90 for a total of $40.85--up to 20 percent less if you use a MyFico discount code. Google is your friend.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.