Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Things ... When Your Credit Score Reaches 760

tag
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: 5 Things ... When Your Credit Score Reaches 760

@Anonymous wrote:

How does one negotiate their APR down?  is this common?

im closing in on 760 and should be there within a month.   7 of 8 cards are over 22%

Just call or chat with a rep and ask if you're eligible for an APR reduction.  Some lenders are more lenient or allow more frequent reductions than others but all you have to do is reach out and ask - worst case is they say no. The only lender I know of that's really weird abt it is PenFed.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 11 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

im closing in on 760 and should be there within a month.   7 of 8 cards are over 22%

Just call or chat with a rep and ask if you're eligible for an APR reduction.  Some lenders are more lenient or allow more frequent reductions than others but all you have to do is reach out and ask - worst case is they say no. The only lender I know of that's really weird abt it is PenFed.

I do recall reading about PenFed APR reduction ask. IIRC, it was stated in a post it would require a HP.

Message 12 of 19
thornback
Senior Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do recall reading about PenFed APR reduction ask. IIRC, it was stated in a post it would require a HP.

Yep. I've read that it may be a HP or they just say they don't do APR reductions at all - so I've never even bothered trying with them.  Weirdos. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 13 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep. I've read that it may be a HP or they just say they don't do APR reductions at all.   Weirdos. 

Lolz, yes they can be weirdos. Smiley Tongue I still like them still. Smiley Happy I did get a nice auto APR reduction  though.

Message 14 of 19
thornback
Senior Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@thornback wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep. I've read that it may be a HP or they just say they don't do APR reductions at all.   Weirdos. 

Lolz, yes they can be weirdos. Smiley Tongue I still like them still. Smiley Happy I did get a nice auto APR reduction  though.

😂  come to think of it -  I got one of those autos too...  

I still like then also... 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

... I did get a nice auto APR reduction  though.

Not funny. Smiley Mad Not funny at all!. Smiley Sad Not even one little bit funny. Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 19
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

My insurance went down considerably after building my credit, roughly $700/year decrease although there could have been other factors included as I wasnt tracking everything like I am now.

Fico 604 with only a closed auto, a couple 30d, and no cards, got my first card and got up to fico 764 and 30d's aged off and when my plan renewed I got a huge decrease in premiums.

I don't think anything else changed, I've had the same plan for 10y+

Message 17 of 19
Ugenie7
Valued Member

Can auto insurance companies check your scores with your reports or frozen?

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am edging toward that number. If I try to negotiate a lower interest rate what kind of pull, if any, would be on my account?

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.