Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$60,000 Tesla with a credit card and earned an estimated $5,000 in rewards

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

$60,000 Tesla with a credit card and earned an estimated $5,000 in rewards

Often, if using your credit card means incurring a fee, it's better to pay another way. Why spend more than you need to? But in some cases, the fee might be outweighed by rewards.

That was the case for 29-year-old Keith Rosso, who recently used a credit card to buy a Tesla Model 3 with his wife Liz for a total of $58,857, including taxes and fees....................................

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/29-year-old-keith-rosso-bought-a-60000-dollar-tesla-with-a-credit-ca...

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: $60,000 Tesla with a credit card and earned an estimated $5,000 in rewards

Talk about using rewards points to your advantage. This type of transaction would make me super nervous but more power to this guy!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 9
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

Dude had enough expendable income to purchase a 60K car in cash but only had a 37K limit on a Chase business card?  Phht.  He needs to spend some time 'round these parts.  Smiley Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 3 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

Often, if using your credit card means incurring a fee, it's better to pay another way. Why spend more than you need to? But in some cases, the fee might be outweighed by rewards.

That was the case for 29-year-old Keith Rosso, who recently used a credit card to buy a Tesla Model 3 with his wife Liz for a total of $58,857, including taxes and fees....................................

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/29-year-old-keith-rosso-bought-a-60000-dollar-tesla-with-a-credit-ca...

I am highly skeptical that this guy got a $5000 benefit out of buying the car this way.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 9
iv
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

I am highly skeptical that this guy got a $5000 benefit out of buying the car this way.

He didn't... but he did pay $1,471 in Plastiq fees (2.5%) to get 176,571 UR points, which isn't a bad trade.

He's valuing the UR points at just over 2.8cpp to get to $5,000 (which is possible depending on how he redeems/transfers), but ignores the $1,471 in fees. So, best case with his given numbers is $3,529 profit, worst case is $1,177 (at a basic 1.5cpp rate).

And not surprisingly, right after this article hit the news, Chase cut off the bug he used (Plastiq payments counting at 3X points on the Ink Business Preferred).  I'm guessed he pissed off a lot of Plastiq+Chase abusers...

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the rewards outweigh the taxes and fees, go for it! I would never do this, though. LOL. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

@iv

.... So, best case with his given numbers is $3,529 profit, worst case is $1,177 (at a basic 1.5cpp rate).

And not surprisingly, right after this article hit the news, Chase cut off the bug he used (Plastiq payments counting at 3X points on the Ink Business Preferred).  I'm guessed he pissed off a lot of Plastiq+Chase abusers...

Still.  3,500 or 1,200 -- I'd do it.  I never like leaving money on the table if all it takes is a little creativity or elbow grease.

I think that's hilarious!  Chase was on that like stink on shi*.  LOL  Moral of the story?  Keep your stupid mouth shut and don't try and act like a cool guy to the press.  Smiley Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Asilomar wrote:

@iv

.... So, best case with his given numbers is $3,529 profit, worst case is $1,177 (at a basic 1.5cpp rate).

Still.  3,500 or 1,200 -- I'd do it.  I never like leaving money on the table if all it takes is a little creativity or elbow grease.

I think that's hilarious!  Chase was on that like stink on shi*.  LOL  Moral of the story?  Keep your stupid mouth shut and don't try and act like a cool guy to the press.  Smiley Wink

LOL. Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

*shakes head* Last year, I thought the idea of paying for a car with a credit card was completely absurd. Just goes to show there's nothing so outlandish that someone won't do it!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.