Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new piece on Chip & PIN changes to CCs

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

A new piece on Chip & PIN changes to CCs

Not sure if this fits here, but here's an interesting piece of news related to Chip card implementation. Mods feel free to 

Capital Metro of Austin, TX is going to stop accepting credit / debit card payments at its ticket vending machines starting next month. Purportedly, this has to do with the cost of installing more "expensive" card readers. 

So now the only way to use credit / debit cards to buy tickets is through the app. Side note: often purchases through the app don't count as travel, but vending machines / purchases at their city office did. 

https://www.capmetro.org/tvm/

I wonder what's happening to other transportation companies around the country.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A new piece on Chip & PIN changes to CCs

America is becoming the laughing stock of the civilized world ever so slowly. 

Is it really that big of a deal for a business to upgrade card readers to 21st-century technology??  Take your millions or billions just sitting in the bank and invest into card readers the rest of the world has had for many years. Additionally, why doesn't the government step in and create a chip and pin + PayWave standard so bank/networks can no longer provide chip and signature cards without the ability to use a much faster Paywave feature that'll speed up checkout? 

This chip card transition has really been made 100x harder than it should be because of extreme laziness and greed by our government, banks, and merchants... The biggest problem being stupid merchants like Capital Metro, while the smallest problem has been the banks. Merchants had four years to prepare for the liability shift.... Common sense should've said put away a little bit each month for a couple of years to purchase new card readers and then take another couple of years to build and certify the software needed to be ready for October 1, 2015. 

I literally cannot believe the terrible state of EMV in America almost a year after the liability shift. I also tend to look down upon merchants like Pizza Hut, Wendy's, and Tops Markets for not even having chip capable readers, yet alone the certifications completed to this point. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A new piece on Chip & PIN changes to CCs

Capital Metro from what I've read isn't exactly managed all that well, so I wouldn't read too much into what other agencies are going to do based on what they've done. However, I expect the ticket machines to stay magstripe-only (for the most part) for quite a while since upgrading doesn't seem to be too much of a priority.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.