Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alabama man awarded multi-million verdict against credit reporting agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alabama man awarded multi-million verdict against credit reporting agency

Now THIS is an interesting article...read it in its entirety by clicking this link...

Just a snippet:

"An Alabama man was awarded over $3 million after a federal jury determined a credit reporting agency falsely reported a debt on his credit report.

Last month, a jury in the Northern District of Alabama issued a $3,005,000 verdict for Shaun Younger. Younger had sued Experian Information Solutions, Inc. pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, after her saw Experian was continuing to report a debt he didn't owe.

After Younger noticed the error, he sent a letter to Experian, along with proof he did not owe the debt, and asked the company to investigate his claim. Experian refused to investigate the dispute, according to a press release from Younger's attorneys, and told Younger they believed his dispute letter was suspicious. ..."

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Alabama man awarded multi-million verdict against credit reporting agency

You can bet Experian will appeal that verdict, but good for him I hope he keeps pushing back for all of us Smiley Surprised

Message 2 of 28
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Good read.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

While it's nice to keep them in check, I dont feel he deserves 3 Million from it. It can be easily fixed once they report accurately.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're called punitive damages, intended to punish the defendant beyond the actual amount of damage caused.  Had he only been awarded $5k, Experian would have zero incentive to change their behavior.  

Message 5 of 28
iv
Valued Contributor

The most interesting part there is:

"Experian has a policy if five or more letters look similar, the mail room determines all the letters are suspicious and will not investigate any of the disputes."

That detail seems very relevant for anyone who chooses to blast out rapid-fire disputes, to Experian or to any other organization that may have a similar policy...

(Also sounds like what most elected officials' offices do when they get form-letter floods.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 6 of 28
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

3 million dollars😃While agree with the verdict that's a little excessive. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 28
arkane
Established Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

3 million dollars😃While agree with the verdict that's a little excessive. 

That's the whole point pf punitive damages, to make corporations think twice about repeating the same actions again in the future. If the awarded damages were for miniscule amounts, I doubt Experian would even bother appealing since their counsel fees would cost more. 

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 28
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

There's no reason why that guy should have been awarded that much money.  Court costs, lawyer costs, costs for time spend dealing with it from the time the first letter was sent, and any potential credit he "lost" or "didn't get" because of the erronous info.

Any "punative" fines should be paid to the SEC, or whatever relavent agency it might be.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian has ruined opportunities for me time and time again, thanks to its inaccurate reporting. Some folks are just blind to appreciating just how crooked, cunning and conniving they really are. For crying out loud they even hold annual conferences in which one of the topics is badically about how to craft arguments to avoid liability even when the law, the facts and the evidence is against them. I have sued them twice, I couldn't even find an apartment because of an inaccurate report from them. Even though I otherwise qualified.

Even though, I disputed in writing, via phone calls, and even directly with a supervisor over there and plef with her to escalate my dispute up the chain . The earlier posts about large awards being designed to encourage billion dollar corporations not to screw the little guy is on point. Do you folks realize that such moral arguments fall on Experian's deaf ears if they think (whether it's the case in reality or not) the law allows them to do something immoral? Do you think their board and executives give a **bleep** about fairness? If so, you can bet your bottom dollar that they only care about a moral argument to the extent that proverbial shoe ends up on the proverbial other foot and the punishments really costs them a pound a flesh short of that they don't give a **bleep** about morals and what they value... namely money. Its the same principle in criminal cases and punishments there without something to take away or injure their is no threat to deter wickedness.

And as far as the thread referring damages being given to the SEC, **bleep**? The SEC. 1. has nothing to do with credit reporting,( the federal agencies that do are the FTC and CFPB) 2. Why pay the government damages? That's what Taxes and Fines are for. 3. Punitive Damages are designed to encourage citizens to take an active role in upholding the rule of law, whether that law is common, case or statutory. (Mod Cut-Please lets keep this FSR and respectful of others. Thank You)

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.