cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon UK vs Visa + Amazon in Talks to Switch Co-Brand Card to Mastercard From Visa

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Amazon UK vs Visa + Amazon in Talks to Switch Co-Brand Card to Mastercard From Visa

Amazon UK just announced that starting 19 Jan 2022 they will no longer accept UK-issued Visa credit cards, in a dispute over transaction fees.

Amazon says that while technology should cause costs to decrease, Visa has kept them high or even increased.   Neither side is being specific, but Visa says that they take less than 0.1% of the average transaction.   (I doubt that is the total fee, maybe just the bit Visa itself takes, but if true doesn't leave a whole lot of opportunity for a major reduction).

Some reports suggest that there will be a resolution before the cut off date, as it is too important for both sides.

Amazon to stop accepting Visa credit cards in UK - BBC News

Amazon to stop accepting UK-issued Visa credit cards | Amazon | The Guardian

Email:

Dear LTL Daughter,
We’re writing to notify you of an upcoming change to Amazon.co.uk.

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

You can update your Prime membership here, and if you have any subscriptions on Amazon.co.uk, you can update them on the ''manage your subscription'' page here.

We know this may be inconvenient, and we’re here to help you through this transition so you can continue enjoying Amazon’s low prices and wide selection. Please visit this help page for more information on payment methods, or go directly to your account.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amazon UK vs Visa

I didn't even realize region/country-specific credit card rates existed. Had assumed the rate for a Visa Signature/Infinite for example was the same no matter where you live and/or used the card

Message 2 of 28
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I saw this a couple of hours ago.    As I understand it the basis of the dispute is tied to Visa planning to implement a large jump in interchange fees in January, much like Mastercard already did earlier this year, since the agreement with EU members to keep a cap in place no longer applies to the UK.

As I also understand it Visa's 0.1% comment is technically accurate, but the amount of the increase for both Visa and Mastercard is somewhere in the 300-500% range which is what triggered Amazon to play the Chicken game.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 28
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Poor Amazon, how will they ever manage! 

In other news, next *almost space* flight postponed by 3 minutes due to lack of funds 

Message 4 of 28
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Original post edited to add news article, otherwise Smorg (not that it's a bad thing). 

@longtimelurker  if you wish to cite a different source, feel free to edit link 

Message 5 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Original post edited to add news article, otherwise Smorg (not that it's a bad thing). 

Thanks, added a BBC link in addition to Guardian, plus the actual email.

BBC article doesn't specify that it is only UK issued Visa cards, but also has exciting stuff about 20GBP offer which I haven't seen on my account (I pay from prime with a US card, so probably why)

Message 6 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

I didn't even realize region/country-specific credit card rates existed. Had assumed the rate for a Visa Signature/Infinite for example was the same no matter where you live and/or used the card

This is the reason why US rewards are often much better than those elsewhere, because the issuers can command higher swipe fees.

A card in the UK will often give 1 point for every 2 pounds spent (so 0.5%).   

Message 7 of 28
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

This is the reason why US rewards are often much better than those elsewhere, because the issuers can command higher swipe fees.

A card in the UK will often give 1 point for every 2 pounds spent (so 0.5%).   

hopeless-disappointed.gif

Message 8 of 28
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

I was wondering when some of the fall out of Brexit was going to impact the credit card industry. The UK has lost it's bargaining power, imo. This isn't going to hurt Amazon much, I don't think. If people want their items they'll use a different card is all. 🤷

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi,

@Remedios wrote:

where the original post was made?

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.