cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon UK vs Visa + Amazon in Talks to Switch Co-Brand Card to Mastercard From Visa

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Amazon UK vs Visa

@Anonymous wrote:

hi,

@Remedios wrote:

Original post edited to add news article, otherwise Smorg (not that it's a bad thing). 

@longtimelurker  if you wish to cite a different source, feel free to edit link 

where the original post was made?

Original post is the one thread starts with, so that would be the first one. 

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon in Talks to Switch Co-Brand Card to Mastercard From Visa

Amazon.com Inc. is considering shifting its popular co-brand credit card to Mastercard Inc. amid simmering tensions with Visa Inc., a feud that already prompted the retailer to ban the payment giant’s cards in the U.K. starting next year. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-17/amazon-brings-visa-feud-to-u-s-with-mastercard-de... 

This is an escalation on the previous Amazon / Visa feud with UK fees.

Message 12 of 28
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amazon in Talks to Switch Co-Brand Card to Mastercard From Visa

I have no dog in this race but I find it hilarious that Visa is upset about a possible network change when they did this to AMEX when the Costco contract was up for grabs like the article pointed out. First world problems at its finest

Message 13 of 28
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

I have no dog in this race but I find it hilarious that Visa is upset about a possible network change when they did this to AMEX when the Costco contract was up for grabs like the article pointed out. First world problems at its finest

^This. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 14 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amazon.com Inc. is considering shifting its popular co-brand credit card to Mastercard Inc. amid simmering tensions with Visa Inc., a feud that already prompted the retailer to ban the payment giant’s cards in the U.K. starting next year. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-17/amazon-brings-visa-feud-to-u-s-with-mastercard-defection-threat?srnd=premium 

This is an escalation on the previous Amazon / Visa feud with UK fees.

I wonder if (assuming it's not just a bargaining position) this would be part of the rumoured  switch from Chase as well as from Visa

Message 15 of 28
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

While Costco shoppers can still use cash or check at it's checkstands, Amazon is solely dependent on electronic payment venues. Blocking out one of the largest networks in the world seems quite counter-intuitive.

I get the frustration of paying "card not present" fees when a company has taken steps to keep fraud issues at such a low level, but ending Visa acceptance seems like it will cost Amazon much more than it will Visa, even if just in the UK. Going the Costco route and making a deal with Visa for sole acceptance would likely be even more costly in the long run.

Changing the co-branded Amazon Visa to MC (or even Amex or Discover) could bring Visa to the bargaining table (I have no idea how many Amazon Visa's from Chase are floating around out there, but I'm fairly certain it's in the millions.) I don't see Chase having an issue with flipping the cards to MC if it came down to it, but there are likely other issues surrounding Amazon shopping for a new card backer besides the Visa issue itself.

Message 16 of 28
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

Amazon discontinuing Visa Credit Card payments

What will this mean for the Amazon visa signature holders?  Will it no longer work on Amazon?  I don't have it but I'm curious I read an article about it and not sure if I'm allowed to link it here but it said in a few days amazon will no longer accept visa payments from a credit card because of high swipe fees.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 17 of 28
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amazon discontinuing Visa Credit Card payments

Message 18 of 28
House1204
Contributor

I believe that is in the UK only.

Message 19 of 28
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@House1204 wrote:

I believe that is in the UK only.

I am in the US and received no emails in regards to Amazon NOT accepting "VISA"

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.