Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon launches a credit card for the ‘underbanked’ with bad credit

tag
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amazon launches a credit card for the ‘underbanked’ with bad credit

As an awards card offering 5% back, I think the interest rate is about right. That's in-line with a typical store card even for those with good an d great credit.

However, there is a broader issue I think is often overlooked: Secured cards offering no-rewards (and there are many out there), ~28% interest simply feels predatory. 

We (rightfully) condemn lenders such as CreditOne and First Premier for their egregious fees. However, I have nearly as much disdain for some of the lenders we do not typically associate with the word "predatory" when they are charging 28% interest on a secured card, essentially making the debt risk-free.

Message 21 of 30
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Caardvark wrote:

As an awards card offering 5% back, I think the interest rate is about right. That's in-line with a typical store card even for those with good an d great credit.

However, there is a broader issue I think is often overlooked: Secured cards offering no-rewards (and there are many out there), ~28% interest simply feels predatory. 

We (rightfully) condemn lenders such as CreditOne and First Premier for their egregious fees. However, I have nearly as much disdain for some of the lenders we do not typically associate with the word "predatory" when they are charging 28% interest on a secured card, essentially making the debt risk-free.

Does it have a grace period, or is the holder of the card charged interest from the time of the charge? I know it is secured, but does that make it totally risk free? I mean, could someone go over the limit on the card? I am fairly unfamiliar with secured cards period. Like I said earlier, if it is interest free, if paid in full before the due date, it is 0 interest. If the card holder declares bankruptcy, would the security deposit be taken to satisfy the loan? I am not 100% sure they could take the security with the automatic stay. I think if you have a very low score, it might be better than a credit one card. I know for a re-builder they are often willing to pay a little to get some credit history. I hope the actions taken do not keep the card out of the hand of re-builders, that are begging for a means of re-building their credit profile.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 22 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@sarge12 wrote:

@Caardvark wrote:

Does it have a grace period, or is the holder of the card charged interest from the time of the charge? I know it is secured, but does that make it totally risk free? I mean, could someone go over the limit on the card? I am fairly unfamiliar with secured cards period. Like I said earlier, if it is interest free, if paid in full before the due date, it is 0 interest. If the card holder declares bankruptcy, would the security deposit be taken to satisfy the loan? I am not 100% sure they could take the security with the automatic stay. I think if you have a very low score, it might be better than a credit one card. I know for a re-builder they are often willing to pay a little to get some credit history. I hope the actions taken do not keep the card out of the hand of re-builders, that are begging for a means of re-building their credit profile.

All Synchrony cards to my knowledge have the usual grace period.

Secured cards are mostly risk free not entirely, the deposit can be snatched by others but this is absurdly unlikely given it's nearly impossible to find unless the lender reports it to the government which they won't.

I'm not sure if 28% or whatever is usurious but if we're just talking standard risk and opportunity cost modelling doesn't seem like it needs to be that high given they are getting money in hand which counts as a deposit for the rest of their business.

        
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why I'm glad I recently purced shares in Synchrony Financial and will continue to do so into the future since they are a very clever company.  Now as far as the 28% APR goes...pay your bills on time and you won't have any issues and if you don't hey then Synchrony just makes even more money then they usually do and my investment goes up...either way works for me.  

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caardvark wrote:

28% is no loinger predatory rate, nor limited to secured cards. As many of the members here who have Amex cards that come with high double didgit rates.  

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the time of my credit report I was in the 693 Range so I figured I could use another Secured Credit Card, I already had the Amazon Prime Visa Card By Chase Bank for $1,000. So lets see if I qualify for a different bank's version of Amazon Store Credit Card. My goal is 21 Credit cards in 2 years, I know alot of you are saying your nuts but I am working towards a 850 Credit score. Next year 8 inquires will be deleted from the 21 I got now, lol. Anyways I applied for this Amazon Store Card and to my surprise I was not only approved for $500.00 but I didn't have to leave a deposit. How sweet is that Smiley Happy  One thing I learned about Credit Cards if you want a credit card to quickly show up on your credit report you to quickly make a small purchase with the new credit card as soon as you get it in the mail OR if they approve you to start making purchases on their website then go that route that way it will get on the Credit Bureau's Radar. Which will also lower your monthly credit utilization percentage (Add all credit card limits and divide by 30 percent, that is your monthly spending limit).

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

At the time of my credit report I was in the 693 Range so I figured I could use another Secured Credit Card, I already had the Amazon Prime Visa Card By Chase Bank for $1,000. So lets see if I qualify for a different bank's version of Amazon Store Credit Card. My goal is 21 Credit cards in 2 years, I know alot of you are saying your nuts but I am working towards a 850 Credit score. Next year 8 inquires will be deleted from the 21 I got now, lol. Anyways I applied for this Amazon Store Card and to my surprise I was not only approved for $500.00 but I didn't have to leave a deposit. How sweet is that Smiley Happy  One thing I learned about Credit Cards if you want a credit card to quickly show up on your credit report you to quickly make a small purchase with the new credit card as soon as you get it in the mail OR if they approve you to start making purchases on their website then go that route that way it will get on the Credit Bureau's Radar. Which will also lower your monthly credit utilization percentage (Add all credit card limits and divide by 30 percent, that is your monthly spending limit).

You need to stop listening to Sebby, Credit Karma and whomever else suggest that you need 21 cards to achieve an 850 score.  You can achieve a perfect score with a minimal amount of credit cards as long as your pay your balances on time, keep your utilization low, and allow your accounts to age.

Also I'm not sure where you got the idea that making an immediate charge will force a card to report to the credit bureaus.  Card issuers report to the bureaus based on the Statement Close date chosen when an account is opened and they rarely, if ever, vary from that.  For example, a new American Express card will only report after 2 statement cycles.  Based on the Statement Close date chosen by Amex's computer when the card is open, that could be as long as almost 3 months.  No amount of charges to that account will make it report to the bureaus sooner.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's one of the things I like about Amex, 2 month grace period on the new account! Not to mention two free months of high utilization. 

Message 28 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AOC, Bernie Sanders skewer Amazon Prime's new credit card: We 'intend to outlaw it'

@sarge12 wrote:

Hey Bernie and AOC.....the interest rate does not matter if it is always PIF. Rebuilders were thrilled with the opportunity to get back in the game, and your efforts will possibly just result in pulling back from issuing these cards.

Yes, those who find MyFico at least.   But there are others (probably much more) who are in serious debt who, with increased access to credit, might get into more difficulty.   With a secured card, the harm is more limited, but they could certainly use up the security deposit which could be used for other bills.     As Revelate says, education is needed, but the companies certainly aren't doing this (just) for the general good, and IMO there is a role for at least some government oversight, which could lead to no action....

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re:

After being denied by Chase for Prime Card, I applied & got this Amazon unsecured store card with $500 limit; reported to CRAs TU Report on second day.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.