Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC

Apparently Chase is finding that issuing the Amazon Visa isn't sufficiently profitable.

AMEX and Synchrony reportedly have expressed interest,  we all know that Synchrony manages the store card, not as widely known that AMEX already issues the Amazon business card.   Or, perhaps this exercise is a ploy to get a more favorable agreement negotiated.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-explores-replacing-jpmorgan-credit-233713777.html

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 1 of 155
154 REPLIES 154
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC

I hope AMEX pick up the business, that way they could have a Amazon card on the personal side. If it goes to Synch, I'm going to close the card...

Message 2 of 155
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

I agree . . . an AmEx Amazon card would be great!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 3 of 155
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Better be Amex..

Message 4 of 155
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Comenity 😜 

Very interesting development for sure.

Message 5 of 155
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I just read about this on Bloomberg as well (paywall):  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-08/amazon-explores-replacing-jpmorgan-in-credit-card... 

I have mixed-feelings about this.🤔

I'm content with it being with Chase, although if it goes to another lender that would possibly free up some exposure with Chase for something else in the future (which I might or might not ever actually need). 

Going to Amex would be nice, and while not disastrous going to Synchrony would be the worst option.  To be fair my four Synch cards have always served me well, but we all know how Synch can be and I'd prefer to not add to my existing exposure.

(I realize this post is "me, me, me..." and others might have very different opinions.)

I suspect Amazon uses three different lenders for leverage in situations just like this, in which case there's also an excellent chance the status quo will continue.

Message 6 of 155
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

Hello Comenity 😜 

Very interesting development for sure.

We can only hope

Message 7 of 155
Andypanda
Established Contributor

I know it won't happen, but I'd like it if itvwas amex, you could redeem for mr points.

Message 8 of 155
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

I just read about this on Bloomberg as well (paywall):  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-08/amazon-explores-replacing-jpmorgan-in-credit-card... 

I have mixed-feelings about this.🤔

I'm content with it being with Chase, although if it goes to another lender that would possibly free up some exposure with Chase for something else in the future (which I might or might not ever actually need). 

Going to Amex would be nice, and while not disastrous going to Synchrony would be the worst option.  To be fair my four Synch cards have always served me well, but we all know how Synch can be and I'd prefer to not add to my existing exposure.

(I realize this post is "me, me, me..." and others might have very different opinions.)

I suspect Amazon uses three different lenders for leverage in situations just like this, in which case there's also an excellent chance the status quo will continue.

My thoughts as well.  It's possible Chase will keep existing portfolio but discontinue new applications, or if the highest bidder comes along and 'romances' Chase with a sweeter deal, then it's possible they'll divest the portfolio.  But, who knows 🤷‍♂️

Nonetheless, there's a few multi-lateral partnerships still around (Amazon, American Airlines, United, etc,) which allow some lending options for different folks.

Message 9 of 155
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coldfusion wrote:

Apparently Chase is finding that issuing the Amazon Visa isn't sufficiently profitable.

AMEX and Synchrony reportedly have expressed interest,  we all know that Synchrony manages the store card, not as widely known that AMEX already issues the Amazon business card.   Or, perhaps this exercise is a ploy to get a more favorable agreement negotiated.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-explores-replacing-jpmorgan-credit-233713777.html

With 5/24 rule, it no wonder why it not profitable. Chase is cutting out a lot of users by that rule. The whole goal of Amazon is to get many users on board with their credit products.  I am hoping for Synchrony, since they do approve alot of users without an issue. 

Message 10 of 155
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.