cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC

joltdude
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC

Wonder if Chase will offer a replacement card to those whose accounts were sold.... Similar to AMEX when Costco moved to Citi...

Amex offered my folks an Amex  to replace the Costco Amex, and they got the Citi Costco card.....

-J

 

 

Message 51 of 154
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC

Honestly can't wait for Amazon to ditch chase since I have a bk and they won't let u in for forever so I am glad 

Message 52 of 154
FinStar
Moderator

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC

Another set of highlights from another recent Bloomberg article including the potential divestiture of the Macy's CC portfolio (paywall):

 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-09/from-amazon-to-gap-retailers-get-their-pick-of-ba...

JPMorgan, AmEx Card Competition Heats Up as Goldman Joins Fray

  • Competition heats up among banks to ink co-brand card deals
  • The market has grown to more than $350 billion a year
 
Delinquencies are at historic lows and consumer spending is accelerating, meaning banks are once again mining their card businesses for growth. That’s led to a ratcheting up in the fight for co-brand and private label credit-card portfolios, with many retailers fielding lucrative bids to replace their existing banks.
 
In some cases, retailers’ existing bank partners have chosen to walk away. Synchrony said it was unable to reach contractual and economic terms with Gap that made sense for the firm’s shareholders when the clothier announced it would shift its portfolio to Barclays Plc in April.
 

Macy’s Inc. this week revealed that its longtime credit-card partner, Citigroup Inc., had informed the retailer it would be terminating their existing card deal after sales dropped below a threshold set out in their original agreement. “The company plans to continue negotiations with Citibank as well as evaluate a potential transfer of its credit-card program to another financial service entity,” Macy’s said in a regulatory filing.

 

JPMorgan is willing to part with the Amazon portfolio, according to people familiar with the matter. The lender already offers a lucrative set of rewards for the partnership, including offering the e-commerce giant’s Prime members 5% cash back on purchases made on its site and at its Whole Foods Market subsidiary. 

Message 53 of 154
Loquat
Moderator

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC


@HiiiPoWeR wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

 

Apparently Chase is finding that issuing the Amazon Visa isn't sufficiently profitable.

 

AMEX and Synchrony reportedly have expressed interest,  we all know that Synchrony manages the store card, not as widely known that AMEX already issues the Amazon business card.   Or, perhaps this exercise is a ploy to get a more favorable agreement negotiated.

 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-explores-replacing-jpmorgan-credit-233713777.html


 

Not too long ago, I was told by a friend who works in Amazon's Loss Prevention Dept that he heard that Amazon was in talks w/ Discover to carry their card.  I didn't know how true it was so I didn't say anything but now it seems possible.


Discover would be an interesting play although I haven't seen a co-branded Discover card.  Back in the day there were credit cards backed by various banks that ran on the Discover network but I can't think of an actual co-branded card. 

Message 54 of 154
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC


@Loquat wrote:

@HiiiPoWeR wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

 

Apparently Chase is finding that issuing the Amazon Visa isn't sufficiently profitable.

 

AMEX and Synchrony reportedly have expressed interest,  we all know that Synchrony manages the store card, not as widely known that AMEX already issues the Amazon business card.   Or, perhaps this exercise is a ploy to get a more favorable agreement negotiated.

 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-explores-replacing-jpmorgan-credit-233713777.html


 

Not too long ago, I was told by a friend who works in Amazon's Loss Prevention Dept that he heard that Amazon was in talks w/ Discover to carry their card.  I didn't know how true it was so I didn't say anything but now it seems possible.


Discover would be an interesting play although I haven't seen a co-branded Discover card.  Back in the day there were credit cards backed by various banks that ran on the Discover network but I can't think of an actual co-branded card. 


Ace Hardware had a Discover backed card.  I think it got Axed a year ago or more.


|Biz | AU

Rebuilding from a sudden, swift and complete credit disaster in early 2014 | Starting Scores 2017 = High 300's - Low 400's
8-1-18 -
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, Amazon Net 55 $5.5k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k
Message 55 of 154
FinStar
Moderator

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC


@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@HiiiPoWeR wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

 

Apparently Chase is finding that issuing the Amazon Visa isn't sufficiently profitable.

 

AMEX and Synchrony reportedly have expressed interest,  we all know that Synchrony manages the store card, not as widely known that AMEX already issues the Amazon business card.   Or, perhaps this exercise is a ploy to get a more favorable agreement negotiated.

 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-explores-replacing-jpmorgan-credit-233713777.html


 

Not too long ago, I was told by a friend who works in Amazon's Loss Prevention Dept that he heard that Amazon was in talks w/ Discover to carry their card.  I didn't know how true it was so I didn't say anything but now it seems possible.


Discover would be an interesting play although I haven't seen a co-branded Discover card.  Back in the day there were credit cards backed by various banks that ran on the Discover network but I can't think of an actual co-branded card. 


Ace Hardware had a Discover backed card.  I think it got Axed a year ago or more.


@spiritcraft1 - Ace Hardware was not issued as a Discover card, it was on the Visa network, IIRC.  They had a partnership with US Bank.


Not sure if you're mixing it up with True Value.  That particular Discover network card was backed by Comenity, not Discover Financial Services.  The True Value partnership ended and was not renewed by either party.  Walmart and Sam's Club cards were once Discover network cards issued by SYNCB (formerly GEMB/GECRB), they were eventually converted to the MC network.  And, of the two, the Walmart portfolio was acquired by Capital One.

Message 56 of 154
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC


@FinStar wrote:

@spiritcraft1 wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@HiiiPoWeR wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

 

Apparently Chase is finding that issuing the Amazon Visa isn't sufficiently profitable.

 

AMEX and Synchrony reportedly have expressed interest,  we all know that Synchrony manages the store card, not as widely known that AMEX already issues the Amazon business card.   Or, perhaps this exercise is a ploy to get a more favorable agreement negotiated.

 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-explores-replacing-jpmorgan-credit-233713777.html


 

Not too long ago, I was told by a friend who works in Amazon's Loss Prevention Dept that he heard that Amazon was in talks w/ Discover to carry their card.  I didn't know how true it was so I didn't say anything but now it seems possible.


Discover would be an interesting play although I haven't seen a co-branded Discover card.  Back in the day there were credit cards backed by various banks that ran on the Discover network but I can't think of an actual co-branded card. 


Ace Hardware had a Discover backed card.  I think it got Axed a year ago or more.


@spiritcraft1 - Ace Hardware was not issued as a Discover card, it was on the Visa network, IIRC.  They had a partnership with US Bank.


Not sure if you're mixing it up with True Value.  That particular Discover network card was backed by Comenity, not Discover Financial Services.  The True Value partnership ended and was not renewed by either party.  Walmart and Sam's Club cards were once Discover network cards issued by SYNCB (formerly GEMB/GECRB), they were eventually converted to the MC network.  And, of the two, the Walmart portfolio was acquired by Capital One.


That's right, True Value.  Yes, I remember the Sam's Discover cards by GE Credit..


|Biz | AU

Rebuilding from a sudden, swift and complete credit disaster in early 2014 | Starting Scores 2017 = High 300's - Low 400's
8-1-18 -
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -

No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, Amazon Net 55 $5.5k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k
Message 57 of 154
Adkins
Mega Contributor

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC

Since I only hold this card as an AU, I don't care who ends up with the portfolio right now. Personally, I'd rather Amex over Synchrony though. The DH only has one other Synchrony card, Lowe's, which has a high CL in terms of his income, but not too high on our combined incomes. I wouldn't want an additional $10K limit become an issue for Synchrony. 🤷

Last HP 08-24-2021



Message 58 of 154
ZackAttack
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC


@TheBoondocks wrote:

I hope AMEX pick up the business, that way they could have a Amazon card on the personal side. If it goes to Synch, I'm going to close the card...


I could not agree more. After all the data points say about Synch shutting down cards, I hope they don't get it.

MSGCU Rewards | $5k | 10/2/2020 | 9.25% APRDiscover Cash It | $6,550 | 1/4/2019 | 12.99% APRAmex 1.5% CB | $3.9k | 7/3/2019 | 20.99% APRBest Buy Store Card | $10kChase Freedom Flex | $1.2k | 4/10/2020 | 14.99% APRCiti DC | $3.5k | 10/14/2020 | 16.99% APRDCU Platinum | $8k | 10/21/2020 | 8.5% APRNFCU cashrewards | $5.7k | 1/2/2021 | 16.99% APRNFCU Plat | $20k | 4/17/2021 | 10.99%NFCU GoRewards | $3k | 8/16/2021 | 16.99%

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018 ($199.26/month)
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 ($155.38/month)

Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
Message 59 of 154
blindambition
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Amazon tire-kicking for Chase replacement of CC


@FinStar wrote:

Another set of highlights from another recent Bloomberg article including the potential divestiture of the Macy's CC portfolio (paywall):

 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-09/from-amazon-to-gap-retailers-get-their-pick-of-ba...

JPMorgan, AmEx Card Competition Heats Up as Goldman Joins Fray

  • Competition heats up among banks to ink co-brand card deals
  • The market has grown to more than $350 billion a year
 
Delinquencies are at historic lows and consumer spending is accelerating, meaning banks are once again mining their card businesses for growth. That’s led to a ratcheting up in the fight for co-brand and private label credit-card portfolios, with many retailers fielding lucrative bids to replace their existing banks.
 
In some cases, retailers’ existing bank partners have chosen to walk away. Synchrony said it was unable to reach contractual and economic terms with Gap that made sense for the firm’s shareholders when the clothier announced it would shift its portfolio to Barclays Plc in April.
 

Macy’s Inc. this week revealed that its longtime credit-card partner, Citigroup Inc., had informed the retailer it would be terminating their existing card deal after sales dropped below a threshold set out in their original agreement. “The company plans to continue negotiations with Citibank as well as evaluate a potential transfer of its credit-card program to another financial service entity,” Macy’s said in a regulatory filing.

 

JPMorgan is willing to part with the Amazon portfolio, according to people familiar with the matter. The lender already offers a lucrative set of rewards for the partnership, including offering the e-commerce giant’s Prime members 5% cash back on purchases made on its site and at its Whole Foods Market subsidiary. 



Ohhh!, Guess those $25k limits may end soon!! Wonder if that is why an uptick in store card upgrades. Hoping they'll hit contractural threshold again.

Message 60 of 154
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.