Super Contributor

Re: Americans Are Taking Out Ridiculously Long Auto Loans

Wrong thread, sorry!

Message 41 of 73
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Car dealers are predatory by nature. I am shocked they are not regulated, tbh. This probably accounts for people buying cars they really should not be buying and they are tempted by these long loan terms. 

Car dealerships are regulated. Have to have a license to be in business with whatever state you're in. Lenders are regulated as well. People need to be personally accountable for their own decisions. It's really easy: "Mr. JGGM that truck costs $50k and your interest rate is 9.9% for 72 months"  "Oh you know what, I'll pass".

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 42 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JGGM wrote:

ealerships are regulated. Have to have a license to be in business with whatever state you're in. Lenders are regulated as well. People need to be personally accountable for their own decisions. It's really easy: "Mr. JGGM that truck costs $50k and your interest rate is 9.9% for 72 months"  "Oh you know what, I'll pass".

At a state level and all states are not created equal. I would like to see federal oversight.

Message 43 of 73
MAZDA3
Frequent Contributor

I don't really see a problem with taking out a 72 month or longer loan. I took out a 75 month loan in 2017 to keep my payments under $300 (total loan was like $18.5k). The flipside is the credit union I used was offering the best rate in my area at 2.25%. 

The key here is I always pay $300/month, despite the payment being $282. So I pay more than the minimum AND I pay $150 every two weeks, which pays the loan down faster because twice a year i'm paying 1.5+ payments in a three paycheck month. At the end of the year I make an extra $300 payment as well.

Nothing at all wrong with taking out longer auto loans provided you have a plan in place to pay it back in a shorter amount of time. But having the flexibility to pay just the minimum amount if life happens in any given month is nice to have as well.

Message 44 of 73
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

Someone offered me crack and I said yes.      It's both our faults I did crack????    Did they force me to take the crack?

Yea ..... no.    This is the fault of the consumer.

Don't take the 6+ year auto loan crack and blame your bad choice on someone else.   

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 45 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lucifer wrote:

Someone offered me crack and I said yes.      It's both our faults I did crack????    Did they force me to take the crack?

Yea ..... no.    This is the fault of the consumer.

Don't take the 6+ year auto loan crack and blame your bad choice on someone else.   

Not everyone is educated about money. I have worked in banking for going on 15 yrs and the majority of our customers have very little knowledge about things financial. I usually have to explain things like I am talking to a 8 year old. 

So there's that...

Message 46 of 73
krielly
Established Contributor

I also took out a 6 year loan in 2017. The rate was 2.29%, so why not. I will have it paid off in 7 more payments.

My goal was to keep my debt to income ratio low, as I was going to be purchasing my Harley affew months later. That was also financed for 4 years at 2.59%, but will be paid off in 3 years.

I understand the intent behind this post, however there are often other reasons for taking out longer term loans. 

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 47 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many good discussion points in this thread. Of note is, once we are of legal age to make contracts it is on us to ensure we understand what we are signing!

It is not about transferring blame but taking ownership of decisions we make on what ever we do. Society is not our keeper! We are our keeper and need to own up to our actions and/or live with the results!

Message 48 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kilroy8 wrote:

Wrong thread, sorry!

@kilroy8 ... what are you doing?

Message 49 of 73
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kilroy8 wrote:

Wrong thread, sorry!

@kilroy8... what are you doing?

Smiley Very Happy

I meant to add that we leased a new yukon for two years, had tons of problems, got them all worked out.  Then when the lease was up, it was running like a champ.  So then we turned around and bought it; sold the other new truck cause this one yukon actually was superior.  But I hated the way we went about it.  Lost a lot of money on it.  You live; you learn.  We were young.  But, >500K miles later the yukon is still running like a champ.  That takes the bite out of the original sting.  That miss step did teach us a lot later on down the road.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 50 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.