cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Americans Are Taking Out Ridiculously Long Auto Loans

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Americans Are Taking Out Ridiculously Long Auto Loans

Wall Street Journal report says that 1/3 of all new vehicle loans are longer than 6 years...and that 7M people are at least 90 days behind on their payments. Smiley Frustrated

So Alex, I'll take, "Whose fault is it for $1K?"

(So is the fault with the lenders or people who are living beyond their means--or both?)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/americans-are-taking-out-ridiculously-long-auto-loans/ar-AAIbIs...!

DEC 2019: EX 816, TU 820, EQ 810
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799
DEC 2017: EX 775, TU 778, EQ 769

|| NFCU CashRewards $30K || AmX Cash Magnet $30K || Discover IT $22.2K || Macy's $20K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Americans Are Taking Out Ridiculously Long Auto Loans

I say both. There's a large portion of Americans who aren't educated about credit in the home nor school, myself included, hence why I'm here to educate myself. Nonetheless if a person can go to the dealership to apply for a loan that person also knows how much they can actually afford. The lenders are also partly to blame for predatory lending on high risk uninformed borrowers. 

Starting Score 14/6/19: EX634 EQ683 TU663
Current Score 1/1/20: EX 609 EQ 655 TU 644
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 73
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Ugh. When I got my first car the typical loan was 3yrs, and 4 yrs was sort of common

this way you can payoff the car, have at least 2 years with no med/large repairs and NO payment, then keep the car as the larger repairs start to happen

i bought a car in 2003 with a 5yr, which seemed long.  Paid off in 3.  Drove it for 11 more years without a payment.  

now with a 6yr loan or more, you will be starting repairs while still paying your monthly.  And some will feel the car is OLd and roll right into a new one without a break in payments, or worse trade in an unpaid one and be majorly upside down on day 1 of a new car

July 31/2019. EX-712. EQ-704. TU-726
Oct 25 2019. EX-715 EQ-712 TU-734
Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 17/2020 EX. 725. EQ. 720. TU 748
Feb 16\2020 EX. 726 EQ. 729 TU 752
Message 3 of 73
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Yes I agree that it's both faults I didn't understand ANYTHING until literally 29 when I went to apply for a vehicle under just my name and was stumped by how low my CS was actually and that's when I started to look, dig and build.....I feel like if people understand it better they will do better but I also feel like there are people who don't want people to know/understand so they can profit more.....Butttttttt that may be just me XD

Message 4 of 73
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@RSX wrote:

Ugh. When I got my first car the typical loan was 3yrs, and 4 yrs was sort of common

this way you can payoff the car, have at least 2 years with no med/large repairs and NO payment, then keep the car as the larger repairs start to happen

i bought a car in 2003 with a 5yr, which seemed long.  Paid off in 3.  Drove it for 11 more years without a payment.  

now with a 6yr loan or more, you will be starting repairs while still paying your monthly.  And some will feel the car is OLd and roll right into a new one without a break in payments, or worse trade in an unpaid one and be majorly upside down on day 1 of a new car

Now that's what I'm talking about -- once car is paid off, continue to transfer same amount into a high-interest bearing savings account or CD for 2-4 more years.

|| NFCU CashRewards $30K || AmX Cash Magnet $30K || Discover IT $22.2K || Macy's $20K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 5 of 73
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

But for me it seems there's a showoff factor in play. It seems no one wants to drive a hooptie nowadays. Smiley Very Happy What is this need to want a new car every few years? I mean, seriously.

And think about it. Even those who know the ropes or consider themselves savvy buyers sometimes just don't care. If a consumer's mind is set on a 2020 BMW, he/she doesn't care about the total cost of the vehicle especially if the dealer says, "Okay I can get you in that car for $665/month," that's all the consumer hears or wants to hear. He doesn't care, at that moment in time, about paying for 96 months at an interest rate of 6.29% if he can drive out of the dealership in the car of his dream. 

Message 6 of 73
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

I believe that 100%, have you ever wandered over to the auto loan approval thread  on here😕 There us soon many questionable deals.

72 or sometimes 84 month terms,  high rates, and their car price is close to their income at times 😯

EXP 763 TU 793 EQ 734
Message 7 of 73
Highlighted

There is always a price to be paid for being stupid when it's not absolutely necessary. 

I'm not inclined to blame those who offer those terms, but like @Jnbmom  said, if you feel like you should buy a car that's more than what you make in a year or two ....you kinda deserve that car and everything that comes afterwards. 

Message 8 of 73
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@CreditInspired Oh I agree with that 1000%    we even tell people no you should wait and it's like it goes right over their head and they go I don't care I am not leaving without it.......SMH

Message 9 of 73
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

I believe that 100%, have you ever wandered over to the auto loan approval thread  on here😕 There us soon many questionable deals.

72 or sometimes 84 month terms,  high rates, and their car price is close to their income at times 😯

Hmmmm. Let me wander on over there and read about this ridiculousness. Smiley Indifferent

Thanks jnbmom for the heads-up.

Message 10 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.