Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War

I'm no expert but it all depends on what you need and/or want. AMEX has lost some of its "luster" to be sure, but to label people because they want or use a particular card is way off. AMEX is trying to catch up, they do need an infusion of fresh talent and thinking though. Plenti was an attempt but not a good one. The Everyday line offers some great rewards. But AMEX's higher end lacks in some way but shines in others. It is my understanding that the Platinum concierge service is still tops and often able to get seats or reservations that others cannot. Do millennials care about this, no most don't. That's why CSR was such a hit with millennials.  No AMEX, Citi, Barclays, Cap One, or any other major bank hit it right. AMEX, Citi, and possibly others will figure a way to draw even soon. One thing to consider, how long did AMEX Platinum Card rule, it took a long time to be surpassed, I'm excluding invite only cards here. AMEX upped their game with the new benefits, it's a start. The Platinum card has an image, they have to change it to appeal to a new generation. Will AMEX succeed, time will tell but I'm not ready to write their obit quite yet.

Message 21 of 26
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I don't understand the comparison.  The Platinum is a charge card.  The CSR is a revolver... no comparison imho.  I love AMEX and use my ED and Blue for Business cards religiously, However don't get the point of the Platinum as its not a revolver.  I'm a PIF guy but the lack of flexibility is BS in my opinion.

Sorry for the rant Smiley Very Happy

Message 22 of 26
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

I am educated and have pretty great credit for a 22yo. I travel A LOT and the new 5x points are just a bonus. The Platinum has never been about points, its a perks and benefits card. Would I like a CSR? Absolutely! Would I keep the Platinum along with it? You betcha! Now pay your tip and leave the bar before you start a brawl. Everyone has different priorities in life, and just because you can't see the value in something or have a different opinion doesn't make you correct. Cheers.

Message 23 of 26
sjt
Senior Contributor

The war isnt over yet. Customer Service will play into this competition and Amex has the edge on that.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 24 of 26
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Judging by my own friends who are millenials (I'm a gen-x'er who married a millenial, and she has several very well-to-do friends), I think the generic statement about how "status doesn't impress millenials" is innacurate.  They are just as wrapped up in status as anybody else, they just like to pretend they aren't so they can have the appearance of being down-to-Earth and "part of the 99%."

The same girl who would turn up her nose at somebody flashing an Amex Platimum as "pretentious" wouldn't be caught dead without her Louis Vuitton purse and Gucci shoes.

Its all about fashion and behavior trends...  As was said earlier, Amex just hasn't been able to bridge the divide between their older customers that see them as a status symbol and prospective new customers that see them as "Dad's card." Obviously ALL Millenials aren't like this, but enough are to where retailers and service providers have to adjust.

I don't know if the concierge service is as big of a deal to many Millenials...  I find that a lot of them don't WANT to talk to live people and hold a conversation... If they can't find what they want within a few minutes online, they move to another choice.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 25 of 26
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I just want service when I need it the **bleep** card to swipe when I purchase something. I am 37 and I guess I am gen X or millennial edge. I know younger folks who are not caught up with Amex or CSR. Besides this forum, no-one talks about what cards they have. I bring up credit and everyone ducks but have issues galore and pay minimums and ask how I am able tomboy stuff with rewards now.
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.