Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Reaches Parity with Visa and Mastercard

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Amex Reaches Parity with Visa and Mastercard

Seemed interesting considering I thought they were still way behind. Also, the fees were much more reasonable than people think.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-01-24/amex-declares-win-in-drive-to-add-stickers-to...

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex Reaches Parity with Visa and Mastercard

I’ve still found a few places that won’t accept AmEx, but not as many as even a year ago.

Curiously, my gas and electricity providers (Consumers and DTE respectively) don’t accept AmEx when setting up auto-pay, but do accept Disco.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@5KRunner wrote:
I’ve still found a few places that won’t accept AmEx, but not as many as even a year ago.

Curiously, my gas and electricity providers (Consumers and DTE respectively) don’t accept AmEx when setting up auto-pay, but do accept Disco.

The driver with companies like utility providers is that they lose zero business by not accepting AMEX and are not motivated to do so from a competitive standpoint. You don't have a choice with utility providers and you'll find another way to pay. If this same attitude is held by customer service, customer choice driven businesses, the chance of lost business is a reality. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@5KRunner wrote:

The driver with companies like utility providers is that they lose zero business by not accepting AMEX and are not motivated to do so from a competitive standpoint. You don't have a choice with utility providers and you'll find another way to pay. If this same attitude is held by customer service, customer choice driven businesses, the chance of lost business is a reality.

From my seat, is it really that big a deal? As long as they accept a payment method(s) (and I am not sure here) are we obligated to advocate for all the payment networks? Businesses should have choices?! Have one utility that only accept cash or check (don't pay 30 days your off).

Message 4 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@5KRunner wrote:

From my seat, is it really that big a deal? As long as they accept a payment method(s) (and I am not sure here) are we obligated to advocate for all the payment networks? Businesses should have choices?! Have one utility that only accept cash or check (don't pay 30 days your off).

From a pure consumer perspective:

When it comes to rewards / loyalty programs as they're implemented today, there's huge advantages to sticking to one vendor... this applies to airlines, hotels, and yup, credit card issuers too.

Most places around me accept Amex, and the more that do, the more easy it is for me to switch to the Amex MR system vs. Chase UR which I know works basically everywhere in the world frankly... but if most of my work/life is domestic and it frankly has been for the last two decades (4 months in Asia not withstanding) then it costs me basically zero to switch and that's a big benefit to me as a consumer simply from having more choice.

End of the day that's clearly a win for Amex too: Chase / Amex / et. al. are all competing for the same customers and there's a finite number of them for all that number is measured in the millions.  Not quite a correct analogy but Amex has more of a blue ocean market than Chase does: Visa is basically already accepted everywhere with very very few exceptions, and Amex is not; domestic parity is a big step forward.  

The big question for long-term Amex though is going to be international acceptance: when we can move the number from millions to billions... well, the benefits there are patently obvious.

        
Message 5 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Here's to you, Amex. You deserve it. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 11
Openwater
Established Contributor

I've notice a big increase in places that accept them, but from asking merchants why they don't like it has to do with how much they are charged by AMEX vs MC/Visa. Merchants obviously want to maximize savings, so they prefer MC/Visa. 

Is anyone a business owner that can confirm if they charge more and how much more... Just out of curiosity...

Discover 22K ---------------------------- Credit Union MC 17K
Cap1 QS 11K ---------------------------- Barclay 3.4K
AMEX Blue Cash AU 15.5K ------ Barclay Apple AU 10K
AMEX BCP 15K
1 Installment loans:
Auto 60K /

AMEX Hilton Aspire 25K
Vantage 3.0: TU:738 EQ: 737 03-17-2020
Ch. 7 DC 12/2014
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So true, Openwater!
Message 8 of 11
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@Openwater wrote:

I've notice a big increase in places that accept them, but from asking merchants why they don't like it has to do with how much they are charged by AMEX vs MC/Visa. Merchants obviously want to maximize savings, so they prefer MC/Visa. 

Is anyone a business owner that can confirm if they charge more and how much more... Just out of curiosity...

Considering the cost of accepting AMEX has gone down for businesses (obviously this has contributed to the increase in acceptance), it seems like the prices for accepting the card can be similar or cheaper now, especially with the increase in V/MC fees for World Elite MasterCard which has gained traction with certain issuers (Citi). 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do a Google search for interexchange fees and discover what they are. But they vary by package. Different rates depending on the package, the business chooses.

Either way AmEx does charge more, and if you’re talking a lot of revenue, small percentage points add up, even fractions of percentage points. But because American Express customers typically spend more money in comparison, they justify it on this basis.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.