Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Citi/CostCo problem!

tag
jwduke
Regular Contributor

Another Citi/CostCo problem!

Well here is another reason I HATE Citi, now this problem has appeared. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/costcos-credit-card-nightmare-just-151800610.html 

I still like my Amex True Rewards card... not as much reward but not near the problems. And yes I received the email from Citi! What a bunch of losers! I really think these accounts were hacked!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 798 (02/21/18)
Goal Score: 800+ All Three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Re: Another Citi/CostCo problem!

They close your card if your Costco membership lapses? I could have sworn that they just apply the membership to your Visa. Is that not the case? We go bi-weekly and usually they have us re-up at the cash register. That's gangster if they just close your credit card account. Doesn't leave the customer anywhere to go but to the competitors without a card and a membership. Do they re-activate your credit card if you pay your membership?

Message 2 of 6
jwduke
Regular Contributor

Yes, but ONLY when you go to CostCo and ask, when you pay at the register, to re up your membership. But the way this seems to work, I will have to go to the customer service desk, and pay with a different card, as my membership was due August 6th.

Message 3 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@adelphi_sky wrote:

They close your card if your Costco membership lapses? I could have sworn that they just apply the membership to your Visa. Is that not the case? We go bi-weekly and usually they have us re-up at the cash register. That's gangster if they just close your credit card account. Doesn't leave the customer anywhere to go but to the competitors without a card and a membership. Do they re-activate your credit card if you pay your membership?

Well, I can kind of understand them enforcing a continued membership in Costco to have  the credit card. Otherwise people would cancel the Costco membership and just have the card's rewards "free". Since the card is intended for Costco members, they don't want that.

That said, they should warn people when they are able to close the card.

Message 4 of 6
jwduke
Regular Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@adelphi_sky wrote:

Well, I can kind of understand them enforcing a continued membership in Costco to have  the credit card. Otherwise people would cancel the Costco membership and just have the card's rewards "free". Since the card is intended for Costco members, they don't want that.

That said, they should warn people when they are able to close the card.

I guess my problem is the "Wrong name & account number" being sent to me in a email.... REALLY smells like a HACKING has happened at Citi, and THEY don't want to admit it!!!

Message 5 of 6
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Take your tinfoil hat off and calm down dude. It was an error and the last 4 aren't even that big of a deal. Nothing was hacked, it makes no sense to even assume it. Someone hacked Citi to send emails to the wrong cardholders? Yeah, that seems plausible. The only reason it made it to Yahoo was because of the cluster they had months ago.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.