cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Card Newest Feature: Use it to Finance a brand new Iphone!

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Apple Card Newest Feature: Use it to Finance a brand new Iphone!

Wow! Very genuis of them!

"Apple Card holders can now buy an iPhone in 24 monthly installments without paying interest"

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/10/apple-card-monthly-launches-with-zero-interest-iphone-purchases.html

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Apple Card Newest Feature: Use it to Finance a brand new Iphone!

Thanks! I've been waiting for the start date ever since Tim Cook announced this. When I stopped into an Apple Store last month and asked for an update, the store manager kept refuting me, saying that this was only a rumor and may not happen!! LOL

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I was excited until I read the fine print.

"Monthly pricing: Available to qualified customers and requires 0% APR, 24-month installment loan with Citizens One or Apple Card Monthly Installments and iPhone activation with AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon."

So same as always, if you buy a device that's unlocked, no financing for you. I went through check out just to make sure. It offered me the Barclays Financing VISA for 18 month financing but no Apple Card.

Oh well, Apple just saved me $1400. Thanks for sharing!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

"Monthly pricing: Available to qualified customers and requires 0% APR, 24-month installment loan with Citizens One or Apple Card Monthly Installments and iPhone activation with AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon."

So same as always, if you buy a device that's unlocked, no financing for you. I went through check out just to make sure. It offered me the Barclays Financing VISA for 18 month financing but no Apple Card.

DW needs a new phone and I was going to show this to her, luckily I saw your comment because I didn't read too much into this.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

DW needs a new phone and I was going to show this to her, luckily I saw your comment because I didn't read too much into this.

Its not something that will affect most people but I refuse to pay carrier prices. My Xfinity Mobile bill costs me $1.80 a month in taxes for unlimited talk and text and 100MB of mobile data with $12/GB as I need it and they use Verizon's network - my bill including insurance and my XS Max payment is $59.64. Verizon starts at $35 a month for 2GB which is way cheaper than they used to be and I'm sure there's a catch like a device fee or something but its still way more than I'll pay. 

ETA: Yep, I was right. $20 a month added per device onto that $35. Yeah no thanks.

Message 5 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Its not something that will affect most people but I refuse to pay carrier prices. My Xfinity Mobile bill costs me $1.80 a month in taxes for unlimited talk and text and 100MB of mobile data with $12/GB as I need it and they use Verizon's network - my bill including insurance and my XS Max payment is $59.64. Verizon starts at $35 a month for 2GB which is way cheaper than they used to be and I'm sure there's a catch like a device fee or something but its still way more than I'll pay. 

ETA: Yep, I was right. $20 a month added per device onto that $35. Yeah no thanks.

And if you do pay carrier prices, you will generally get 24 months interest free device payment anyway.   (Looking at iphones on Verizon for example, all 0% APR for 24 months, same price as Apple).    And if you pay with something like Cash+, the 5% discount applies to that as well (although not as good as the December 6% discount)   Also, to get the full 24 months you would need to stay with the carrier, with Apple you could potentially move.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And if you do pay carrier prices, you will generally get 24 months interest free device payment anyway.   (Looking at iphones on Verizon for example, all 0% APR for 24 months, same price as Apple).    And if you pay with something like Cash+, the 5% discount applies to that as well (although not as good as the December 6% discount)   Also, to get the full 24 months you would need to stay with the carrier, with Apple you could potentially move.

I get 24 months interest free from Xfinity Mobile anyway as well as free upgrades after paying off half of the device. The issue I have with Xfinity Mobile is that you have to go to one of their stores to do the trade in, they don't have any process in place to do it through the mail. This not only means I can't get the new iPhone on release day but it also means that I have to deal with the agoraphobia issue I have if I want to upgrade. Assurant is hiking the theft/loss/AppleCare+ bundle from $12 to $15 a month in January for my XS Max so I was going to just pay it off early and trade it in to Apple for a new 11 Pro Max with AppleCare+ directly from them but this kind of shoots my idea down the drain unless Navy Federal announces a 0% BT offer before January 1st when that 6% cash back offer expires (I get 3% cash back from BBVA and Discover anyway right now).

What really doesn't make any sense to me is why Apple insists on only having financing for locked models. They are missing out on a revenue stream in order to get the carriers more revenue. There are lots of us who prefer to have unlocked devices and not be tied down to a carrier, I'm not some strange anomaly here.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Saeren $1.80/month? Do explain please!

What is the 6% cashback offer?
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Saeren $1.80/month? Do explain please!

What is the 6% cashback offer?

Xfinity Mobile used to waive the line charge if you have high speed internet with them and you would get 100MB of data for free with $12 per GB after along with unlimited talk and text on Verizon's network. Since I don't really leave the house much and when I do, the places I go have xfinitywifi hotspots, I pay just taxes for the line which currently is $1.80 a month.

The new Xfinity Mobile plan you have to pick a data plan which starts at $12 for 1GB. They eliminated the 100MB free data option but its still a great deal for most. 

I have had Xfinity Mobile since September 2017 and don't have any complaints with the service, especially for the price.

As for the cash back, Apple is bumping the regular 3% Daily Cash at Apple.com and Apple Stores to 6% through December 31st.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So 6%, unlocked?
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.