Apple Card to offer financing for iPads, Macs, and other products

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apple Card to offer financing for iPads, Macs, and other products

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schwartzinator wrote:

There really isn't much of an Apple tax when you compare them to the competition. Are they expensive? Absolutely, but so is Microsoft's Surface line, Dell's XPS line, and boutique vendors like Razer whose products are as much about design and experience as they are about productivity. At the end of the day it seems Apple just gets knocked for not playing at the low-end. This financing option is a great way to get more of their products into people's hands. 

Despite its exepecptional value, I don't know why they'd advertise the Pro display to consumers when the UltraFine monitors are likely already far and above what most need. 

+1

I'm still using my mid-2010 iMac. and mid-2012 MacBook Pro. Extra memory and SSD upgrades and both work great.

I keep things a long time - happy to pay for quality.

Yeah it's interesting: I have recent MacBooks for my work machines (one not mine and I bought one specifically for work in mid 2018) but my personal one?  2014.  I just don't do anything really intensive on the machine and have no intention of upgrading it anytime soon.

I actually backed off a iMac purchase recently too, picked up a deeply discounted Lenovo desktop for a specific reason rather than my general purpose Mac desktop plan.

I have a brand new work issued MPB that I basically only use when I travel because it's so light/slim. I won't log into my iCloud on the work one (created a second account for that) and I end up using my personal machines for work (it's all in the cloud and not on the machine itself anyway.)

The thought crossed my mind that I should let the wear and tear occur on the one paid for by work. but it saves me a lot of time during the day to just respond to iMessages/access my personal bookmarks/flip back and forth between personal stuff all on the same machine.

Message 11 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schwartzinator wrote:

There really isn't much of an Apple tax when you compare them to the competition. Are they expensive? Absolutely, but so is Microsoft's Surface line, Dell's XPS line, and boutique vendors like Razer whose products are as much about design and experience as they are about productivity. At the end of the day it seems Apple just gets knocked for not playing at the low-end. This financing option is a great way to get more of their products into people's hands. 

Despite its exepecptional value, I don't know why they'd advertise the Pro display to consumers when the UltraFine monitors are likely already far and above what most need. 

+1

I'm still using my mid-2010 iMac. and mid-2012 MacBook Pro. Extra memory and SSD upgrades and both work great.

Yeah it's interesting: I have recent MacBooks for my work machines (one not mine and I bought one specifically for work in mid 2018) but my personal one?  2014.  I just don't do anything really intensive on the machine and have no intention of upgrading it anytime soon.

I actually backed off a iMac purchase recently too, picked up a deeply discounted Lenovo desktop for a specific reason rather than my general purpose Mac desktop plan.

I have a brand new work issued MPB that I basically only use when I travel because it's so light/slim. I won't log into my iCloud on the work one (created a second account for that) and I end up using my personal machines for work (it's all in the cloud and not on the machine itself anyway.)

The thought crossed my mind that I should let the wear and tear occur on the one paid for by work. but it saves me a lot of time during the day to just respond to iMessages/access my personal bookmarks/flip back and forth between personal stuff all on the same machine.

Possible legal ramifications to that.  Unlikely but there if work wants to play hard ball.

Don't mix work / home between the laptops.  You are asking for trouble in determining what is yours vs. companies data and intellectual property if you're doing anything on the side.  And that's before it runs afoul of some permissible purpose clause which is usually a termination level offense in most corporate agreements.

Just not a good idea imo, I shudder a little bit at having to do this but if it's something I need to get to the work side like my resume when the big giant employer was in process of marrying me, I just emailed the resume from personal to work account and done.  Beyond that, for all that they sit literally less than a foot away from each other right now on the same network, there's zero / zip / swabo interaction between the two by design and actually soon that'll be split on the network side too once they ship me their virtual office equipment.

ETA: don't assume your employer is either incompetent technically or well meaning, technically it's stupidly easy, and I've seen plenty of places where a network admin / manager obfuscated things and then new management came in, and suddenly that was all stripped away.  In a work productivity thread we were talking about closer monitoring of users, but monitoring at the network level?  That's what a 15 year old tech now when talking proxy and firewall log analysis at scale?  Absurdly easy and a lot cheaper now than it was back then.

I'd almost post a picture, but I have 3 Apple laptops all sitting on the floor within easy crawling distance right now, 1) Personal, 2) Big Giant Company, 3) everyone else.  The third one is a little awkward but technically it's all the boutique consulting stuff and as I'm clearly in no way shape or form an employee (and they didn't give it to me, it's mine) it's there, but even then, zero personal stuff on it.

        
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schwartzinator wrote:

+1

Possible legal ramifications to that.  Unlikely but there if work wants to play hard ball.

Don't mix work / home between the laptops.  You are asking for trouble in determining what is yours vs. companies data and intellectual property if you're doing anything on the side.  And that's before it runs afoul of some permissible purpose clause which is usually a termination level offense in most corporate agreements.

Just not a good idea imo, I shudder a little bit at having to do this but if it's something I need to get to the work side like my resume when the big giant employer was in process of marrying me, I just emailed the resume from personal to work account and done.  Beyond that, for all that they sit literally less than a foot away from each other right now on the same network, there's zero / zip / swabo interaction between the two by design and actually soon that'll be split on the network side too once they ship me their virtual office equipment.

ETA: don't assume your employer is either incompetent technically or well meaning, technically it's stupidly easy, and I've seen plenty of places where a network admin / manager obfuscated things and then new management came in, and suddenly that was all stripped away.  In a work productivity thread we were talking about closer monitoring of users, but monitoring at the network level?  That's what a 15 year old tech now when talking proxy and firewall log analysis at scale?  Absurdly easy and a lot cheaper now than it was back then.

I'd almost post a picture, but I have 3 Apple laptops all sitting on the floor within easy crawling distance right now, 1) Personal, 2) Big Giant Company, 3) everyone else.  The third one is a little awkward but technically it's all the boutique consulting stuff and as I'm clearly in no way shape or form an employee (and they didn't give it to me, it's mine) it's there, but even then, zero personal stuff on it.

I've known this to be true, but I thought I was in the clear since I remote into a windows Remote Desktop Connection and do all of the "work" there. I looked at whatever computer I used as simply the vehicle to get me there. No?

Message 13 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If it is your laptop knock yourself out.

If it is a corporate laptop anything you do on it is theirs, regardless if you think they are watching or not if using it for stuff you would prefer your boss not knowing about, don't.

Frankly I don't understand the wear and tear argument anyway, it is not a car rusting out.  Computers last decades other than accidents and just getting too slow.

        
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

If it is a corporate laptop anything you do on it is theirs, regardless if you think they are watching or not if using it for stuff you would prefer your boss not knowing about, don't.

Frankly I don't understand the wear and tear argument anyway, it is not a car rusting out.  Computers last decades other than accidents and just getting too slow.

Yes I am saying I only use my (that I own) computers. LOL.

I won't use my company laptop for anything personal (hence creating a second Apple ID for it and not using my personal.)

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Went live today. 

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/monthly-installments/

You still get the 3% daily cash when you finance too so as long as you can't find a better deal elsewhere, this is a pretty nice offer. Most of the time it's financing OR rewards, not the other way around. 

Message 16 of 27
californiaboy935
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know people have been waiting for this. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/6/21282667/apple-monthly-plans-ipads-macs-apple-card

There are 12 month options for iPad, Mac, and accessories for those like Apple Pencil and the Mac XDR monitor. 

There will also be 6 month financing for things like Apple TV and Air Pods.

If you need 6 months to pay for AirPods - I would be rethinking AirPods.

BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50,800 | NFCU MCPlatinum $50,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards Visa $10,000 | American Express Platinum | American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6,000 | American Express Cash $2,000 | American Express Blue Business Plus $4,000 | Apple Card Mastercard $5,500 | Discover IT Student $1,000

FICO 8 scores 03/2022
EX-680
TU-732
EQ-749
Message 17 of 27
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Most companies could care less and don't want to cyber nanny your laptop.

As for older laptops, with more and more applications being published on the cloud or hosted by your company's infrastructure, the need for refreshes of laptops becomes less and less unless you code on your own machine, do graphics, are a gamer, etc..

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@californiaboy935 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know people have been waiting for this. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/6/21282667/apple-monthly-plans-ipads-macs-apple-card

There are 12 month options for iPad, Mac, and accessories for those like Apple Pencil and the Mac XDR monitor. 

There will also be 6 month financing for things like Apple TV and Air Pods.

If you need 6 months to pay for AirPods - I would be rethinking AirPods.

True but families may buy 5 sets at a time and finance them instead of paying up front. Or they will buy them at the same time as a new phone or computer. There are definitely situations where having financing available makes sense. And obviously GS is hoping that you won't pay it off in time and pay them interest income. 

Message 19 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@randomguy1 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Most companies could care less and don't want to cyber nanny your laptop.

As for older laptops, with more and more applications being published on the cloud or hosted by your company's infrastructure, the need for refreshes of laptops becomes less and less unless you code on your own machine, do graphics, are a gamer, etc..

Probably half of the places I've been (and I've been at over 30 different places) cared, and I was one of the ones care and feeding those systems.

I think it's far more prevalant than you think it is, I have no need to cyber nanny anyone's laptop that's somewhat new technology in the grand scheme of things, nor do I need your browser history... you go through my pipe, if I (or my boss cares) I know what you're up to even if I can't see the specific data because of encryption, the IP headers are not in most environments (those using IPSEC or MACSEC internally not withstanding but that's a really small population and those that do, are monitoring your desktop fo sho), it's that simple.

End of the day there are potentially employment and even legal ramifications for using a work laptop for anything not directly related to performing your job at that place of employment.  Anyone not heeding that, it's on them.

        
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.