Apple Pay to offer it's own BNPL

tag
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Apple Pay to offer it's own BNPL

Edit - March 28 2023 Update.

It appears that the Apple

Pay Later is rolling out for pre-selected users.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/03/28/after-much-delay-apple-finally-launches-apple-pay-later/

With the release of IOS 16, Apple will offer Apple Pay Later.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/iphones-buy-now-pay-later-plan-how-apple-pay-later-w...

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

Re: Apple Pay to offer it's own BNPL

"Apple Pay Later will let you break the cost of purchases into four equal payments spread over six weeks."

Smiley Indifferent

Last update: 2/12/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 2 of 18
C6
Regular Contributor

Payments for Apple Pay Later must be made with a debit card.

This is just another useless service to indebt the uninformed.

Message 3 of 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@TheRedHat wrote:

"Apple Pay Later will let you break the cost of purchases into four equal payments spread over six weeks."

Smiley Indifferent

Four payments over six weeks? So a payment roughly every 10 days? Not even at least every two weeks, which is when most people get paid. Smiley Indifferent

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 18
TheRedHat
Established Contributor

Even more than that. If I were to charge something to a credit card on say the 10th and my statement cuts on the 1st of each month, then my payment to avoid interest on the charge wouldn't be due until around the 26th of the following month. Which would be 6 or 7 weeks later. So what exactly is the benefit of this?

Last update: 2/12/2024
Chopping Block:

Goal Cards
Message 5 of 18
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@TheRedHat wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

Most likely it will be payment 1 due immediately, payment 2 due at the 2 week mark, payment 3 due at the 4 week mark, and then payment 4 due at the 6 week mark.

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 6 of 18
Matt9543
Established Contributor

@TheRedHat wrote:

Even more than that. If I were to charge something to a credit card on say the 10th and my statement cuts on the 1st of each month, then my payment to avoid interest on the charge wouldn't be due until around the 26th of the following month. Which would be 6 or 7 weeks later. So what exactly is the benefit of this?

This is not tied to the Apple Card. Apple Pay Later will be completely different than the Apple Card, and isn't even going to be through Goldman Sachs. Apple Pay Later will be offered by (I believe) Apple Financial Services LLC

FICO Scores (current as of November 24, 2020): Equifax: 740 | Experian: 751 | TransUnion: 732
Message 7 of 18
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Matt9543 wrote:

@TheRedHat wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

Most likely it will be payment 1 due immediately, payment 2 due at the 2 week mark, payment 3 due at the 4 week mark, and then payment 4 due at the 6 week mark.

Confirmed in the article: "Apple Pay Later will let you break the cost of purchases into four equal payments spread over six weeks. The first payment will be due when you make your purchase, and the remaining payments are due every two weeks after that."

Message 8 of 18
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Good catch on this offer being through a linked debit card @C6  and @Matt9543 .

I will edit my title to Apple to offer vs Apple Card to offer

Message 9 of 18
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Matt9543 wrote:

@TheRedHat wrote:

Smiley Indifferent

Confirmed in the article: "Apple Pay Later will let you break the cost of purchases into four equal payments spread over six weeks. The first payment will be due when you make your purchase, and the remaining payments are due every two weeks after that."

So it's really 3 payments over 6 weeks. 

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.