cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Unveils new Apple Card

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Senior Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...


@vic6string wrote:

You have to love a credit card that can be closed at any time because you decided to "jailbreak" your iphone. It's actually in the terms. 


Yeah I noticed that too. 

70DD1A3B-9DE6-4CBB-A6D9-BA705BE22054.jpeg
Scores 1/2019:
Scores 8/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards:
Message 81 of 187
Mega Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...


@Saeren wrote:

@vic6string wrote:

You have to love a credit card that can be closed at any time because you decided to "jailbreak" your iphone. It's actually in the terms. 


Yeah I noticed that too. 


Yes, for some (probably many) the tight integration with the phone will be considered a big plus.   My concern would be if the iphone breaks for a while (or lost or whatever) and you have to use the physical card at just 1%.      Of course, this just shows I am not a True Believer, for those a broken iphone would be a calamity of epic proportions, no time to worry about anything as insignificant as not getting full cc rewards.

 

I guess the same is true of the Altitude Reserve, although in theory you could use the wallet on last years cheap smartphone (if you can handle the disgrace)

Message 82 of 187
Regular Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...


@longtimelurker wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

@vic6string wrote:

You have to love a credit card that can be closed at any time because you decided to "jailbreak" your iphone. It's actually in the terms. 


Yeah I noticed that too. 


Yes, for some (probably many) the tight integration with the phone will be considered a big plus.   My concern would be if the iphone breaks for a while (or lost or whatever) and you have to use the physical card at just 1%.      Of course, this just shows I am not a True Believer, for those a broken iphone would be a calamity of epic proportions, no time to worry about anything as insignificant as not getting full cc rewards.

 

I guess the same is true of the Altitude Reserve, although in theory you could use the wallet on last years cheap smartphone (if you can handle the disgrace)


Pretty soon people might say it isnt apple anymore its AH-pel

Message 83 of 187
Regular Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...

I think it's an overhyped card, but will be great for those that buy a lot of Apple products and use Apple Pay. I'm neither of those so it doesn't appeal to me.

 

However, i'll be in the market for a new Macbook Pro next year when they introduce the 2020 version with new keyboard (I was going to buy a 2019 until i heard the news of the crappy butterfly keyboard being replaced for 2020). I'm also going to likely upgrade to the iPhone Xs Max this year when the iPhone 11 comes out. 

 

3% back on Apple products is appealing, especially since i'll be buying two apple products within 20 months of each other. However, the CFU with 3% back the first year, is still a better deal. For those of us going after UR points anyway.

 

At the end of the day, it's aimed at apple die hards that use apple pay a lot and buy new apple products every year when they're introduced. For the rest of us, it doesn't make a lot of sense as there are better cash back/rewards cards out there. Even if you're buying apple products.

 



  |  
Message 84 of 187
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...

I won't apply for it when it first comes out because I have no plans on leaving the garden, but there are many things I like about it:

 

  1. Daily cashback: I do like that your CB is earned daily--no need to request it or wait until you reach a redemption. It's that same feeling when you find something on sale for 10% and that discount is subtracted immediately. 
  2. No fees: Just that there are no cash advance fees send quivers down my spine, whether I use it or not. But no AF, late fee, or over-the-limit fee is pretty nice too.
  3. Titanium laser-etched card--Oh yeah. It sounds like a beauty! I'll try to keep my excitement at a reasonable level.
  4. I PIF most of the time, but I do like this feature if I can't. Apple estimates the interest for you based on any payment amount you choose. And it does it in real time, so you can make an informed decision about how much of your balance to pay down.  

Yep, I do like it and will probably apply for it once I'm out of the garden. 

GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

GIRL WILLPOWER ("No Thanks" to Apple $7.5K, 12.99% Approval)



Scores
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 85 of 187
Established Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...

I'm not really sold on the 3% Apple discount, even for people who buy big-ticket Apple items frequently, because you can probably still come out better if you shop around. As an example of what I mean, my brother recently decided to buy his daughter a MacBook Pro as a college graduation gift. I get a corporate discount on purchases from Apple. But, he found a lower price from Best Buy, anyway. I am not sure what percent discount my corporate discount was, but I doubt it was much under 3%, which makes me suspect you'll be able to save more money by shopping around beyond Apple in most cases.

 

However, I will admit that the 2% via Apple Pay sounds better the more I think about it. One problem, my phone is an Android. But I'm not loyal one way or the other, and would potentially switch back to an iPhone if it made sense overall. Meantime, I assume I could get 2% most places online.



But, I wouldn't actually qualify for a lot of stuff right now. Everything listed is new to my profile since April 2019, except the Exxon card. The AU card hasn't reached TU, so no FICO score on TU yet. I have a ton of hard inquiries March-July 2019. No derogs. Numbers shown are FICO 8, but other FICO variants can be a lot different (for example, Experian Bankcard 2 is 642).
Keepers:

Will be closed by March 2020:

Authorized user / Corporate

Closed but still on reports:

Short-term goal: My stuff is in too much of a state of flux to have one that matters ...
Long-term goal: Legit, meaningful 770s across the board.
Message 86 of 187
Regular Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...

My sock drawer is in desperate need of a sexy titanium card with no AF. I think most MyFicoers have their rewards driven spends down to the last nickle and have no room for this card in any capacity.



Message 87 of 187
Established Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...


@MyFault wrote:

At the end of the day, it's aimed at apple die hards that use apple pay a lot and buy new apple products every year when they're introduced. For the rest of us, it doesn't make a lot of sense as there are better cash back/rewards cards out there. Even if you're buying apple products.

 


I think the point of the card is more to get people to use Apple Pay. Supposedly not many people are using it now, at least if you believe some of the articles about it online.

Message 88 of 187
Regular Contributor

Re: Apple card terms are out...

I utilize Google services, vs Apple. But the problem with not using Apple Pay is the same as why i don't use Google Pay very often.

It's because not that many merchants accept it yet. As soon as you have all the merchants that accept a standard credit/debit card, accepting Google/Apple Pay then you'll have more people using the service.


  |  
Message 89 of 187
Regular Contributor

Re: Apple Unveils new Apple Card

U gonna jump on it ? Im a fan
Message 90 of 187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.