Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Makes with the Highest Average Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Makes with the Highest Average Credit Score

"Tesla buyers had the highest with a score of 740. Chrysler buyers had the lowest scores, with an average of 656."

The Auto Makes with the Highest Average Credit Score

Bar chart of makes and credit scores

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Makes with the Highest Average Credit Score

Interesting.  Even though it states "average credit score" this sounds like a presumption based on cost and assumed income = higher scores.  I think DTI can easily skew this along with different priorities.  I know someone with fair to good credit, makes a moderate income but prefers to drive an expensive car than invest or buy a home.  He lives in on old house left to him by his mom.  Nice Porsche in front of a paid for, somewhat run down home; no offense, just true.  Most of his income goes to his car.  (he has the key chain and not sure where he got the sneakers with Porsche on themSmiley Indifferent )

I drive an Acura (used by the way) because I refuse to invest too much in a vehicle and prefer to save and build my portfolio.

The article makes reference to "Tesla, which has a higher monthly premium".  If you have limited expense, and in the case of the guy I know, he did save to pay a hefty down payment, then one can afford that higher monthly premium.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Trudy wrote:

I drive an Acura (used by the way) because I refuse to invest too much in a vehicle and prefer to save and build my portfolio.

I have a 12 year old Toyota RAV4 (140,000 miles) that I will drive into the ground, and I think my scores reflect that. lol

It's still a lot cleaner inside than some of my co-workers' cars that are only a year or two old, so there's that.

I've been making a $400 monthly faux car payment to my index fund for several years now. I'm also basically too afraid to go into a dealership these days.

Message 3 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Dang. I drive a Kia lol. I’m trying to bring up the average! My score is definitely not that bad!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 12
clevo4040

There is definitely a strong positive correlation between higher income and credit scores. A similar correlation exists between Tesla owners and income. 

Message 5 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@clevo4040 wrote:

There is definitely a strong positive correlation between higher income and credit scores. A similar correlation exists between Tesla owners and income. 

Hah, I've met billionaires that had worse reports and scores than what I started with.

There's admittedly a trend between higher income and not defaulting I'd argue, but in terms of credit scoring with all the lates / collections / other things which can significantly impact credit, it simply doesn't follow that higher income = higher credit score.

        
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Hah, I've met billionaires that had worse reports and scores than what I started with.

lol Larry Ellison? ( Larry Ellison Almost Used Up Billion-dollar Credit Line in 2002 )

I know, I know...he's doing just fine these days. For a while there I thought he would end up like McAfee.

Message 7 of 12
clevo4040

Ah but be careful, correlation does not imply causation nor does it implied direct equavalence as you have described by:

"doesn't follow that higher income = higher credit score."

The strong positive correlation between higher income and higher credit scores. Is simply a trend, and as you have pointed out a trend that does not hold 100% of the time.  It simply true that a higher proportion (the majorty) of the high income population have credit score higher than their peers in lower income bracket. Sure there some with lower scores,  but the vast majority have higher scores. 

Message 8 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you control for the fact that the lowest end of the social economic strata is likely unbanked or underbanked (because of course if you have no positive credit you are at null or worse) I think you will find that your premise that higher income correlates with higher credit score to be patently false.

Middle and mass affluent classes care about money and credit; however, the truly wealthy don’t look at it in the same manner, namely credit is irrelevant.

I think you’ll find in virtually everything that someone who cares about a thing will take better care of it than someone who doesn’t... nearly regardless of what we are talking about and credit is no exception.

I have talked to individuals that drop as much as I have in my brokerage account on new cars, cash, every year... to say nothing of the boats and race horses or sports teams: personal credit is basically meaningless to them. We talk about cash flow underwriting in the economic class I live in as being the future, but it’s nothing new when talking the financial elite strata.

I’d bet third and forth generation money you’d see similar trends: it’s just a different time than even 40 years ago when it comes to credit and responsible use of it.

        
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, and KIA of today aren't quite the cheap cars of 5-10 years ago. My 16 Optima was pretty expensive with all those options we can probaly live without. lol

Based on that chart, my score could have gotten me into anything listed. And almost did, but I just cannot justify $600+ car payments.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.