Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks are keeping closer tabs on your reputation than ever before

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Banks are keeping closer tabs on your reputation than ever before

• Over the past year, stories have piled up in online communities of credit-card super users suddenly having their accounts shut down by JPMorgan Chase.
  • The case of Bryan Sequeira seemed similar at first, but upon closer inspection, it proved particularly unusual and confounding.
  • Sequeira, who has a strong credit profile and doesn't game the points system to maximize rewards, was informed this summer that his accounts would be terminated by Chase.
  • But even after his appeal, the company not only declined to reinstate him, but refused to disclose why his account was being closed in the first place.
  • Unspooling the mystery behind Sequeira's shutdown shines a light on the broad power that credit-card companies have to cut ties with customers, as well as how banks, amid steep fines and intense scrutiny from regulators, are using technology to keep closer tabs on customers' reputations than ever before.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mystery-of-chase-sapphire-cardholder-who-was-shutdown-and-never-told...

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Banks are keeping closer tabs on your reputation than ever before

Interesting. It doesn't seem right... kinda like being guilty, no chance of being proved innocent. But I still think/wonder... there has to be something else, something more specific to him. I hope.

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's wrong with banks nowadays? 

I understand wanting to mitigate risk, but why the need to judge creditworthiness based on things other than income and credit history?

This is all weird to me, and I am thankful that although I have bad credit, I am not at the mercy of these banks. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 26
Medic981
Valued Contributor

This is a case in point: "Those with the money make the rules."

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 26
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

WOW..thats an eye opener right there. Good read !!
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, yet Banks don't have to worry about their reputation. Because if anything ever happens, they just get bailed out with our Tax Dollars!

You know, the ones paying all their fees too...

At the end of the day they have the right to end the relatinship for any reason, as per their T&C. But I feel it should only be based on pertinent finacial information and ability to repay,  not because of Facebook or your opinions on an issue etc.

If only Credit wasn't needed for other than just CC/Loans, and if Banks weren't needed. Then people could tell them where to stick it. 

And people wonder why I store cold hard cash instead of letting Banks make Money off of it. lol

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great read and information! Did not know. Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 26
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

What's really annoying/alarming is that there doesn't appear to be any procedure that a person can go through to unveil the actual reason for the account closures. Saying you are a "reputation risk" is way different than saying they don't like your credit profile.

I'd be tempted to file a discrimination complaint against them as a ploy to get them to reveal more information as part of their defense against the charge. "We don't have to tell you" is not proof against discrimination.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 8 of 26
marty56
Super Contributor

IMHO they will start going back to High School to see if you ever borrowed money from a friend at a party after drinking too much and didn't pay it back.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 26
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

IMHO they will start going back to High School to see if you ever borrowed money from a friend at a party after drinking too much and didn't pay it back.

Smiley Happy this........made my day.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.