Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay to pull Arrival+

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay to pull Arrival+

Here’s a link to a blog post. Looks like they’re going to be closing this card to new applications.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/barclaycard-arrival-plus-closing-to-new-applications/
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay to pull Arrival+

Guess I'm not surprised; unless there was a partner airline or something that someone was absolutely set on, just wasn't a compelling rewards card for someone who travels extensively compared to either Chase or Amex offerings... but SUB chasing, well, if I was going to push more it was somewhere on the list.

Interesting in that I'd missed the memo they'd pulled the Ring and personal loans too, thought everyone was making money in the personal loan space currently but maybe their lates/defaults rose recently, not sure what their UW strata was.

        
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW! What will be left at Barclay US? Did not know they pulled the "Ring". Find it interesting as customers we never know what is going on? See the Loans are by "invitation only" ... sweet!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd that they pulled the Ring, I'd have figured a lot of people opted for it consideringthe low APR. I know that I considered it at one time.

That Arrival doesn't hurt my feelings at all, I would have apped for the Aviator card before that one.

I've received several "Invites" for Loan with them, but they alway wanted to sock me with high rate compared to others.

Plus ever since they denied me the Aviator Card, I decided they don't have anything I need.

Message 4 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Looks like another casualty of CSR/CFU.

A nice bonus, but a mediocre earn rate after that...and not much reason for people to stick around to pay the AF.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Ring hasn't had a "low" APR for quite awhile. More recently it was offering around 13% IIRC, which is lowish but not exactly earth shattering when it's the main draw of the product. Back when it was an ~8% APR I somewhat saw the appeal, but more recently it seemed like a pretty worthless product.

It seems Barclay is just pulling out of issuing their own products and only doing cobrands. Their own products were never very special anyway.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 was fortunate to pick up the card when it had the 8.25% variable interest rate. In reading some of their non mainstream information ... they have not been making money on the card. Now with that said, why as a consumer would I sign up for it? As stated 13%+ Apr isn't earth shattering.

Even considering closing the card because posters on this Forum finally got me to use category cards and back fill with 2.5% every day non category spending rewards.

The other part is who trusts Barclays to not cut a person off at the knees for using the Barclay Ring the way it is actually set up? I sure don't! Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 8
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@kdm31091was fortunate to pick up the card when it had the 8.25% variable interest rate. In reading some of their non mainstream information ... they have not been making money on the card. Now with that said, why as a consumer would I sign up for it? As stated 13%+ Apr isn't earth shattering.

Even considering closing the card because posters on this Forum finally got me to use category cards and back fill with 2.5% every day non category spending rewards.

The other part is who trusts Barclays to not cut a person off at the knees for using the Barclay Ring the way it is actually set up? I sure don't! Smiley Sad

There is great truth in these words^^^^^

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.