Did you mean: 

Barclays to Buy AARP Credit-Card Portfolio From JPMorgan

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays to Buy AARP Credit-Card Portfolio From JPMorgan

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Ardecko wrote:

Ouch. My condolences to AARP card holders.

Thank you. I am one of those unlucky people.

This really bums me out. To go from a quality issuer like Chase to garbage like Barclays.

Ah c'mon - I read Barclays is going to have a fantastic rewards program for their AARP card!

And then they'll figure out yet again that folks are smart enough to use the card for rewards and not carry a balance at the 25%+ APR Barclays loves so dearly they'll convert the rewards to something really useful, like maybe free blood pressure monitoring.

Message 11 of 42
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica  I to called Chase and cust service says my account will stay with Chase.  Gosh, I hope so 🙄

Message 12 of 42
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Ardecko wrote:

Ouch. My condolences to AARP card holders.

Thank you. I am one of those unlucky people.

This really bums me out. To go from a quality issuer like Chase to garbage like Barclays.

Ah c'mon - I read Barclays is going to have a fantastic rewards program for their AARP card!

And then they'll figure out yet again that folks are smart enough to use the card for rewards and not carry a balance at the 25%+ APR Barclays loves so dearly they'll convert the rewards to something really useful, like maybe free blood pressure monitoring.

Sad part is your statement is probably true. As soon as you think Barclays US will finally drown, some other company stupidly decides to do business with them.

Message 13 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica and @gingerflower 

Are you AARP members or are you just AARP VISA cardholders?

I called Chase this morning  to learn that I will be sold to Barclays. I asked to PC to another Chase card but that is not an option. 

The rep told me that a PC can't be done because "you are with AARP".

I wonder if those of us who are *owned* by AARP are restricted to the goofy sale? Unfortunately I am a member to avail myself of the United Health supplemental and pdp insurance plans. I would not be a member otherwise. This is my opinion only. AARP is just a huge marketing company that goes with the highest bidder. They advocate for no one. 

I hope many AARP Visa cardholders are exempt from this foolish sale. 

Thanks!

Message 14 of 42
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

I called Chase this morning  to learn that I will be sold to Barclays. I asked to PC to another Chase card but that is not an option. 

I wonder if those of us who are *owned* by AARP are restricted to the goofy sale? Unfortunately I am a member to avail myself of the United Health supplemental and pdp insurance plans. I would not be a member otherwise. This is my opinion only. AARP is just a huge marketing company that goes with the highest bidder. They advocate for no one. 

Thanks!

Well, AARP usually screams loudly whenever there's a threat to cut Soc.Sec. or Medicare benefits, but other than that . . .

I'm 68 and have never been a AARP member, never will. They really ticked me off when they sent me a big membership packet when I turned 50. I was feeling gloomy at hitting the big five-oh and they didn't help things, and 50 is a long way from 'retired', they buy your info from states' driver license data. I thew their almost monthly junk mail in the trash for years.

When I moved to AZ in 2005 & changed my DL to an AZ driver license AARP promptly found me again. So I wrote on the membership app "I've been throwing your crap in the trash for 10 years - take a hint , I'm NOT interested!" and put it in the prepaid envelop. It worked, I've never heard from them again.

Message 15 of 42
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

Thanks!

By and large, PCs may not be possible unless it's within the same family or brand of cards.  For instance, you can PC from Slate to Freedom or Freedom to CSP or viceversa and a United Gateway card can be PC'd to the United Explorer or viceversa.  All other partnerships do not have the option to crossover.  

Message 16 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@DaveInAZ ,

I remember that 50th birthday wish. It ws a hoot!  I know AARP pomotes alleged screaming about Social Security. November 2015 AARP was silent when Social Security was cut for two earner couples. The option of filing for a spousal benefit only at FRA then later filing for a retirement benefit at 70 went poof! Larry Kotlikoff made a lot of noise to get a grace period to April of the following year if certain conditions were met. The way the geniuses in congress wrote the draft currently entitled could be cut off if memory serves. 

Funds were transferred from retirement/survivor side of the ledger to disability and AARP blew it's horn for a long time about "saving" SS.

I made the mistake or ordering something from one of the advertisers in AARP bulletin in 2018. Scam artists. The order was junk. I tossed it out and tried to be removed from that rain forest the advertiser delivers to my mailbox regularly. Not possible to do. I contacted AARP by phone. The rep listened to my issue then asked me if I wanted to get a job!!! She started to talk about some new website item for members seeking employment. I hung up. 

That rain forest still arrives in my letter box. Stauer sends so much junk at once that the top of the box does not close. My real mail is rained on or snowed on so AARP's questionable vendor can continue this nonsense. 

BTW I didn't hear a peep from AARP when Social Security was defunded via fiat from September through December of this year with a promise to make it permanent contingent on the election results. 

Message 17 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@FinStar 

I wondered because two comunity members were advised they will remain with Chase. I hope that works out for them. I was told that "since you are with AARP" my account is sentenced to Barclays. Most likely i will close it when that happens.

Message 18 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As a paid shrill for Barclays, I will remind people that there have been some good/great cards, Sallie Mae, and the original Uber (and to a smaller extent Arrival+ at the time).   Yes, cards nerf, but getting in early can be good.    And while PCs are often not available when cards come out, they often are eventually.   So, if your card transfers to Barclays, you can always keep it and hope to be able to PC to the New Best Thing when possible.

Barclays is not always as bad as a newbie might get the impression from this forum.   Like Amex doesn't always do FRs or Sync always close all of your cards for no reason.

Message 19 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I don't get the hate,  Barclay's is usually around 14 percent not 25. Have not had any issues with their products at all 

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.