Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays to Buy AARP Credit-Card Portfolio From JPMorgan

tag
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays to Buy AARP Credit-Card Portfolio From JPMorgan

If I wanted to do business wih Barclay I would have made an application. I like Chase, a lot. I'll probably close the account before the handoff.

Message 21 of 42
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

As a paid shrill for Barclays, I will remind people that there have been some good/great cards, Sallie Mae, and the original Uber (and to a smaller extent Arrival+ at the time).   Yes, cards nerf, but getting in early can be good.   

Barclay has great credit cards..just not for very long.  

That said, they are usually good about CL reallocation if you can get through to the right department.  That can come in handy.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 42
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

@SouthJamaica and @gingerflower 

Are you AARP members or are you just AARP VISA cardholders?

I called Chase this morning  to learn that I will be sold to Barclays. I asked to PC to another Chase card but that is not an option. 

The rep told me that a PC can't be done because "you are with AARP".

I wonder if those of us who are *owned* by AARP are restricted to the goofy sale? Unfortunately I am a member to avail myself of the United Health supplemental and pdp insurance plans. I would not be a member otherwise. This is my opinion only. AARP is just a huge marketing company that goes with the highest bidder. They advocate for no one. 

I hope many AARP Visa cardholders are exempt from this foolish sale. 

Thanks!

@SouthJamaica  @gingerflower   @

I to called Chase and cust service says my account will remain with Chase. I am NOT a AARP member just a AARP VISA cardholder.

Message 23 of 42
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JoeLuvsHisCredit wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

I called Chase this morning  to learn that I will be sold to Barclays. I asked to PC to another Chase card but that is not an option. 

I wonder if those of us who are *owned* by AARP are restricted to the goofy sale? Unfortunately I am a member to avail myself of the United Health supplemental and pdp insurance plans. I would not be a member otherwise. This is my opinion only. AARP is just a huge marketing company that goes with the highest bidder. They advocate for no one. 

Thanks!

I to called Chase and cust service says my account will remain with Chase. I am NOT a AARP member just a AARP VISA cardholder.

I hope they're right. I was told the same thing.

But I am skeptical because the articles say that Barclays also bought the credit card "portfolio".

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 24 of 42
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@JoeLuvsHisCredit wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

Thanks!

I hope they're right. I was told the same thing.

But I am skeptical because the articles say that Barclays also bought the credit card "portfolio".

I am too skeptical . That's why when I called 30 mins ago I asked him over 10 times lol. He said I was grandfather in. Lets hope so. I do have one Barclays card but only use it once for a drink every 4 months to keep it active. I never had any problems with them. But I don't care for their cards. If I have to i will move my limit over to my Freedom card.

Message 25 of 42
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@Save-n-Invest 

I was told by chase  representative my AArp account will not be transferred to Barclay. I am not a member of AARP so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Another interesting conversation with the Rep is chase has no knowledge of the AARP being brought by Barclay's.  But, if it is chase will contact their customers.  Very Odd!

Message 26 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:

@Save-n-Invest 

I was told by chase  representative my AArp account will not be transferred to Barclay. I am not a member of AARP so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Another interesting conversation with the Rep is chase has no knowledge of the AARP being brought by Barclay's.  But, if it is chase will contact their customers.  Very Odd!

Thank you for your post. Very interesting. I guess we'll just wait and see. I really don't want to deal with another kook issuer. Amex uses all my aggravation quota. 

Message 27 of 42
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@gingerflower wrote:

@Save-n-Invest 

As one who is a member of AARP I can attest all the Chase ads for the card in their monthly mailed magazine and newspaper type publication have been gone for months. I doubt a frontline CSR at Chase would know what is actually going on.

Message 28 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@gingerflower wrote:

@Save-n-Invest 

As one who is a member of AARP I can attest all the Chase ads for the card in their monthly mailed magazine and newspaper type publication have been gone for months. I doubt a frontline CSR at Chase would know what is actually going on.

RESPONSE

The last issue of the AARP mag arrived with  full page ads for AARP Barclay cards. Smiley Happy

Of course anything from AARP is primarily full page ads for stuff no one wants.

Message 29 of 42
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Makes you wonder what's up with chase since they are dropping (presumably) Amazon and now AARP

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.