Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays to Buy AARP Credit-Card Portfolio From JPMorgan

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclays to Buy AARP Credit-Card Portfolio From JPMorgan

@designated_knitter wrote:

Makes you wonder what's up with chase since they are dropping (presumably) Amazon and now AARP

I'm guessing that it's Amazon and AARP who precipitated the moves, rather than Chase.

I'm guessing that when Chase decided to subject its co-branded cards to 5/24, it lost some friends.

I don't think either Amazon or AARP wants its card to be exclusive and hard to get. I think they want it to be in the hands of as many folks as possible.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 31 of 42
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica 

UPDATE 7/23/2021

I definitely can confirm Barclays will be taken over CHASE AARP CREDIT CARD.  Got my notice in the mail today my Chase Aarp credit card will be replaced with the Barclay's World Essential Rewards Mastercard! This will be in effect Sept 16, 2021. So much for the incorrect info from Chase Customer Service! Oh well now it is 3 Barclays card in my wallet!!

Message 32 of 42
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:

@SouthJamaica 

UPDATE 7/23/2021

I definitely can confirm Barclays will be taken over CHASE AARP CREDIT CARD.  Got my notice in the mail today my Chase Aarp credi card will be replaced with the Barclay's World Essential Rewards Mastercard! This will be in effect Sept 16, 2021. So much for the incorrect info from Chase Customer Service! Oh well now it is 3 Barclays card in my wallet!!

That really stinks!! You can try and reallocate limits on other Chase cards, that's if you have others.

I lost faith in Barclays with Uber Card. That was first and last. Closed that puppy when CB was changed to Uber Cash. Barclays was like a bad romance. 😂 

Message 33 of 42
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@blindambition 

I guess it will be ok since I have 2 other Barclays credit cards and Barclays have been nice to me. The Perks on the new card look pretty good and my APR will remain the same. 

Message 34 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:

@SouthJamaica 

UPDATE 7/23/2021

I definitely can confirm Barclays will be taken over CHASE AARP CREDIT CARD.  Got my notice in the mail today my Chase Aarp credit card will be replaced with the Barclay's World Essential Rewards Mastercard! This will be in effect Sept 16, 2021. So much for the incorrect info from Chase Customer Service! Oh well now it is 3 Barclays card in my wallet!!

Bummer. I was wondering about this yesterday as I was still with Chase. Afraid to look now.

Message 35 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

The bad news was in my letter box yesterday. I will contact Chase and transfer as much of the credit line as possible to Freedom. 

I especially love the $25 minimum redemption on rewards. I don't buy that much gas in a pandemic. 

AARP is great at promoting their love of seniors while handing us us to every huckster who will give them a cut. If I wanted a card from a junk issuer I would have gone to Credit One. 

Message 36 of 42
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

Chase was going to close mine for inactivity then strangely wrote that they changed their mind, guess they get a few bucks per account from Barclays...have a beer on me, Jamie Dimon

Message 37 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

I just transferred the AARP card limit to Freedom. AARP card  is dead before Barclay can kill it. 

Message 38 of 42
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Today Barclay AARP card arrived in the mail. Strange as my Chase AARP is closed. There is no credit limit specified on the page the card is stuck to.

Did anyone else get a card yet? Prior mailings stated that cards would be mailed to all Chase AARP cardholders who had an open account in good standing as of September 13. I don't. 

Thoughts?

Message 39 of 42
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

Today Barclay AARP card arrived in the mail. Strange as my Chase AARP is closed. There is no credit limit specified on the page the card is stuck to.

Did anyone else get a card yet? Prior mailings stated that cards would be mailed to all Chase AARP cardholders who had an open account in good standing as of September 13. I don't. 

Thoughts?

Cut up the card and make sure that your CRs reflect it as a closed account?  That's what I would do. Card is unusable so 🤷‍♂️

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.