Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before Giving Your Teenager a Credit Card

tag
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Before Giving Your Teenager a Credit Card

If you want to introduce your child to the world of credit while being mindful of its dangers, read:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/read-this-before-giving-your-teenager-a-credit-card-2018-06-13

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: Before Giving Your Teenager a Credit Card

@SOGGIE wrote:

If you want to introduce your child to the world of credit while being mindful of its dangers, read:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/read-this-before-giving-your-teenager-a-credit-card-2018-06-13

I recently added my 18 yr old DD and 23 yr old DS as AU on one of my cards.  I laid down the following expectations, and knowing that thier access to the card will be terminated if they don't follow the rules.  Before I let them have a card they were both paying their portion of the cell phone bill each month for over a year.  Never once did they miss the phone payment or ask for help with it.  Them also having a card , specificlly DD who still lives with me allows me to have her pick something up at the store put it on the card and I pay for it.  That way I do not have to give her cash before hand or transfer money to her bank account. 

1.  The card will only be used for something you would be purchasing normally.   Such as your phone bill, gas or the car, etc.

2. Purchases will be paid for in full not later than then payment due date for the statement on which they appear. This way no interest is ever paid. 

3. A maximum of $100 my be charged by each child.   If you get to $100 then you need to make a payment before you can use the card again.

4. They are to text message me that have used card.  I get a notification from the cc app anyway, but I want them to know I am watching. 

5. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by me in advance of the charge. i.e. DS lives on his own, so if he needed to pay a Dr bill and carry that balance for a month or two, I might approve that as long as he paid any interest charged. 

We have been doing this for three months and so far so good. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was given a credit card by my mother in high school. I could put gas on it, that was all. That was the only real rule.

I just kind of fell into place with credit cards after that. Not even she uses them as much as I. I use them for everything for cash rewards unless the merchant offers a better price with cash. She somewhat disagrees with my usage but I've never paid a cent of interest.

Message 3 of 5
arkane
Established Contributor

Heh I opened my first student card shortly after turning 21 because I was sick of my parents questioning why I was spending so much on computer games. Smiley LOL

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 4 of 5
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

I just read your Siggy.....LOL at the last one "I refuse to"...LOL

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.