cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biden administration to make it easier for student loan borrowers to discharge debt in bankruptcy

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Biden administration to make it easier for student loan borrowers to discharge debt in bankruptcy

• The Biden administration announced on Thursday updated guidelines that will make it easier for those struggling with their student debt to discharge it in bankruptcy.
  • Around 250,000 student loan debtors file for bankruptcy each year, but fewer than 300 walk away from their education debt in the proceeding, according to research published in the Duke Law Journal in December 2020.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/17/biden-administration-to-make-it-easier-for-borrowers-to-discharge-st...

Not being able to cancel them in BK was the way to make slaves of those who go to college having to borrow money.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Biden administration to make it easier for student loan borrowers to discharge debt in bankruptc

Need to add we see all the political statements.

Remember, the US Congress passes the laws not the Executive Branch.

Another words, don't jump off the bridge without a bungee cord Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Biden administration to make it easier for student loan borrowers to discharge debt in bankruptc

@gdale6 wrote:

Not being able to cancel them in BK was the way to make slaves of those who go to college having to borrow money.

Smiley Wink.

More seriously though I've never understood why we as a society held student debt as different than other forms of debt when it comes to bankruptcy laws. 

        
Message 3 of 6
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Smiley Wink.

More seriously though I've never understood why we as a society held student debt as different than other forms of debt when it comes to bankruptcy laws. 

Because most other types of loans aren't backed by the Government (AKA you and me) and unlike so many other things, once you have a degree then it can't really be taken back. A house can be foreclosed on, a car repossessed but knowledge can't exactly be taken out of your head. At least not in any legal fashion. Either people need to repay one way or the other or the Government needs to get out of the education loan business. Honestly I'd rather the Government stay out of it, if your "education" can't pass muster for a bank to loan you money for it then you don't need it or you can pay for it out of pocket.

3/3/24
Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Lou-natic wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Smiley Wink.

Because most other types of loans aren't backed by the Government (AKA you and me) and unlike so many other things, once you have a degree then it can't really be taken back. A house can be foreclosed on, a car repossessed but knowledge can't exactly be taken out of your head. At least not in any legal fashion. Either people need to repay one way or the other or the Government needs to get out of the education loan business. Honestly I'd rather the Government stay out of it, if your "education" can't pass muster for a bank to loan you money for it then you don't need it or you can pay for it out of pocket.

Maybe, but IRS tax debt is owed to the goverment which also winds up being We the People paid, and that can be discharged.  One could also argue FHA/Fannie/Freddie also are government-backed, though the GSEs are just in a seriously weird situation now admittedly where the government won't  cough them back out seemingly.

I don't think you're wrong, but you hint at massive other issues in the educational system which we probably need to address but that goes well beyond just reforming the way student loan debt is handled.

        
Message 5 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Maybe it's so hard to discharge because it's so easy to get...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.