Did you mean: 

Biden cancels $10,000 in federal student loan debt for most borrowers

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Biden cancels $10,000 in federal student loan debt for most borrowers

@sjt wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Just so I and others tax payers can pay for their debt, not mine.  Wonderful idea right....  This isn't charity.   Nothing is "FREE".  Also really helps out with inflation as well. /end sarcasm

Don't forget a vast majority of PPP loans were forgiven...

Sorry wasn't for the PPP loans either or shutting down the country, etc..  That is another story though.

Message 21 of 26
Remedios
Credit Mentor

This thread is coming very close to being infused with politics and that's not going to happen. 

If your opinion is so tied with your political views, find a different thread 

Message 22 of 26
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

It will make it way to supreme court likely as doubt he can do this by executive order, but that is what the supreme court will be deciding if they hear the case which I suspect they will.  I question whether he can do this with out the house as they control the check book hence likely to supreme court.  

Whats amazing is that Thomas Jefferson made the Louisiana purchase with an executive order.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 23 of 26
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

This article discusses which states have announced that they plan to tax student loan forgiveness -- this will be subject to change in the coming months, as states are reviewing, some may pass relevant legislation, etc..

At the federal level however there will be no taxation on this student loan forgiveness. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 24 of 26
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

More information here, including FAQs:

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief-announcement/one-time-cancellation

Message 25 of 26
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Application for forgiveness is now live at:   https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application/

You can apply to request forgiveness through Dec. 31, 2023

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.