Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big banks handing out CLI's to subprime

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Big banks handing out CLI's to subprime

Hrm.  Color me a little skeptical on this whole article.

Some of their comments aren't cited, and and at least one study they do quote, has a different overall analysis than the one piece they cherry picked from it.

        
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s like putting a sandwich in front of me and I haven’t eaten all day,” said D’Ante Jones, a 27-year-old rapper known as D. Maivia in Houston who was close to hitting the ceiling on his Chase Freedom card when JPMorgan Chase & Co. nearly doubled his spending limit a year ago without consulting him. He soon borrowed much more. “How can I not take a bite out of it?

I know a lot of people will shake their head at a statement like that, but just remember that if a high percentage of people didn't think this way the economy would suffer greatly.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, that one had me scratching my head. I've never seen DP's here suggesting that Chase will PCLI when you're at 80% utilization, let alone double it?

Also, were only Rappers available for comment on this article?

Message 14 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Some of their comments aren't cited, and and at least one study they do quote, has a different overall analysis than the one piece they cherry picked from it.

Agree 100%. 

What I couldnt believe was statements regarding Cap1. It is many, many members on here who bemoan Cap1s bucketed toy limits who dont have a chance in hell of getting a CLI when they request one, much less an auto CLI. So who, and where, are these people that are getting these PCLIs?

Really, I want to know. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 15 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah, that one had me scratching my head. I've never seen DP's here suggesting that Chase will PCLI when you're at 80% utilization, let alone double it?

Also, were only Rappers available for comment on this article?

Exactly 😂🤣😆

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Agree 100%. 

What I couldnt believe was statements regarding Cap1. It is many, many members on here who bemoan Cap1s bucketed toy limits who dont have a chance in hell of getting a CLI when they request one, much less an auto CLI. So who, and where, are these people that are getting these PCLIs?

Really, I want to know. 

Capital One has no problem granting auto CLIs to people who use their card heavily. People here don't tend to use their Capital One cards heavily so of course they don't grow. 

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Agree 100%. 

Really, I want to know. 

Capital One has no problem granting auto CLIs to people who use their card heavily. People here don't tend to use their Capital One cards heavily so of course they don't grow. 

Take you back to 2001 to 2009, Cap1 was doing the CLI thing about no increase if not heavy use and bucketing. They claim to have changed (maybe they have) but, reading postings in this Forum I wonder? Was a Cap1 cardholder and left them because of their style of business! As we all know, different strokes for different folks and I never look back (that is yesterday and tomorrow is not yet  mine).

Message 18 of 21
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Agree 100%. 

Really, I want to know. 

I only had a cap1 card and was using it quite heavily. Finally in 2002, when it wouldnt grow but they were still charging a $59 AF, I said eff this bull and closed it. Glad I did, havent looked back, and its still reporting on my CRs. I dont see where they have changed for the little guy--well on this forum anyway. 

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Agree 100%. 

Really, I want to know. 

I only had a cap1 card and was using it quite heavily. Finally in 2002, when it wouldnt grow but they were still charging a $59 AF, I said eff this bull and closed it. Glad I did, havent looked back, and its still reporting on my CRs. I dont see where they have changed for the little guy--well on this forum anyway. 

2014 Capital One sent me marketing for their Platinum card. 4 years since my BK with no rebuild attempt with no open credit cards and 3 cell carriers, auto repo, multiple medical bills, and student loans in default post-BK. Didn't think I had a chance. Instant $500 approval. Grew that to $8250 between 3/2014 and 3/2018 when I got my last $2K CLI and then in June they gave me an instant approval for $10K on the SavorOne even though I was at 11/24. My income in that time has ranged from about $15.5K to about $18.5K depending on whether I had the state paying my Medicare or not. They definitely can work for the little guy but it seems that their starter cards with AFs pose a problem and the rest is YMMV. 

They have been very good to me and a few others on the forum but many others haven't had the luck with them. They're certainly nowhere near as consistent as NFCU, for example, and I think much like secured cards being unsecured, the growth potential likely is fixed based on policy when you applied for the card. If you applied during a generous time, your card grows. If not, it doesn't. 

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.