cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borrowers are feeling the squeeze’ as interest rates climb while inflation remains high

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Borrowers are feeling the squeeze’ as interest rates climb while inflation remains high

• The Fed’s moves to fight inflation have made borrowing costlier for consumers.
  • Here’s a breakdown of how increases in the benchmark interest rate impacted the rates consumers pay on the most common types of debt.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/27/how-federal-reserve-interest-rate-hikes-impact-your-borrowing-costs....

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Borrowers are feeling the squeeze’ as interest rates climb while inflation remains high

I saw that mortgage interest rates have now topped 7% so it'll be interesting to see how much demand continues to drop.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 14
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: Borrowers are feeling the squeeze’ as interest rates climb while inflation remains high

I estimate in our neck of the woods, about 70% of the listings we get sent are "price reduced"...  insane.  But of course, the sound of the other shoe dropping always is.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great read!

Now the housing pricing may start to recede, and sense may return to the marketplace. It is hard for buyers and sellers, but we need some reality!

My property went up big dollars and my property taxes took a huge jump!!! Way beyond reality Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 14
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

This AM caught a snipet some news person providing tips how to fight inflation (seems everyone these days has some anti-inflation hack).  Anyhow, I entertained it before I almost pressed away to the next channel.   May god be with me, I wanted to punch my TV screen. 

The person was telling us how to preserve fruits and vegetables in our fridge to extend their shelf life.  For example, put Brocolli in water like a plant, ensure your vegetables are loose to prevent condensation, keep apples in the back of the drawer cold and inside a ziplock.  Then she moved onto "don't couple your fruits and veggies in the cute fruit bowls" as some are notorious accelerating the ripening stage because of their chemicals.  

Please don't get me wrong, i didn't know about the ripening acceleration chemical reaction above the counter but, **bleep** does this have to do with hacking inflation?    Just be honest with the public and rather you say "Folks we're crap outta luck for now and get ready time to ride the wave downward".      Venting here!

Message 5 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

And it will affect those with variable APR's on credit cards who are carrying high balances. CC Debt is already up. Guess we'll see more lates, CO's and repo's on the rise also.

Message 6 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Rates will continue to rise as well until inflation is under control.  Doubt we will get to the early 80's, but depends how serious we are about getting it under control.  Interesting times we live in.   Gotta pay the piper at some point and that point has come and will get worse before it gets better.  Yes as a result more CO's/CA's/BK and posssibly the housing market and other things will be impacted to different degrees.

Message 7 of 14
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing this!

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 8 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Rates will continue to rise as well until inflation is under control.  Doubt we will get to the early 80's, but depends how serious we are about getting it under control.  Interesting times we live in.   Gotta pay the piper at some point and that point has come and will get worse before it gets better.  Yes as a result more CO's/CA's/BK and posssibly the housing market and other things will be impacted to different degrees.

Interesting to note that big corporate America has told the FED they have no intention of stopping their price increases and that they will continue to do so....

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/01/business/economy/fed-rates-company-earnings.html

Message 9 of 14
uncredited
Frequent Contributor

If we're going back to the 70's can we at least bring back earth tones and woodgrain?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.