Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFPB Proposes Changes to How Debt Collectors Contact You

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

CFPB Proposes Changes to How Debt Collectors Contact You

Consumer advocates say the proposal appears designed to shield debt collectors from lawsuits rather than help consumers

"Christopher Fultz peered at his phone during a break at his job as a paramedic and saw an unusual text displaying his name in all caps.

Click on the link, said the message, which was from a number he didn’t recognize.

Fultz, 36, initially ignored the text but eventually followed the link leading to a website asking for his Social Security number. Fultz said he then realized a debt collector who repeatedly called and left what Fultz considered threatening voice mails had found a new way into his life."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/05/07/trump-administration-wants-allow-debt-collectors-...

As always please remember to keep you comments apolitical.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CFPB Proposes Changes to How Debt Collectors Contact You

I suppose technology will catch up with this and there will be a way to block this type of communication as well.  Wonder if one can still file a complaint with the FTC for unsolicited texts.

Message 2 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Here is the official cheat sheet - one of three they released - but this is the summary: 

https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/cfpb_debt-collection-fast-facts.pdf

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I am starting to hate texts anyway and basically audible notifications of any sort.

Admittedly there is some threshold: before working three jobs it wasn’t that insane, now with 3x the touches I am slowly getting to the point of throwing my phone in the garbage. My buddy waking me up with a text this morning: not happy haha... for all that 7 am should be reasonable contact time but my sleeping schedule is mangled.

I squared up on all my debts in my life so this doesn’t affect me currently but I find this stupidly intrusive.

Emails fine, texts are out of bounds in my world unless it is important. I think they need similar rules, if I reply to a text there is a one week cooling off period.

While I think debt collection should be modernized to include alternative communication channels, unrestrained communication, well, we saw where this lead before with phone calls.

        
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

Here is the official cheat sheet - one of three they released - but this is the summary: 

https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/cfpb_debt-collection-fast-facts.pdf

Thanks for posting this!

Message 5 of 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
I am starting to hate texts anyway and basically audible notifications of any sort.

Admittedly there is some threshold: before working three jobs it wasn’t that insane, now with 3x the touches I am slowly getting to the point of throwing my phone in the garbage. My buddy waking me up with a text this morning: not happy haha... for all that 7 am should be reasonable contact time but my sleeping schedule is mangled.

I squared up on all my debts in my life so this doesn’t affect me currently but I find this stupidly intrusive.

Emails fine, texts are out of bounds in my world unless it is important. I think they need similar rules, if I reply to a text there is a one week cooling off period.

While I think debt collection should be modernized to include alternative communication channels, unrestrained communication, well, we saw where this lead before with phone calls.

@Revelate , Im gonna text you, LOL Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.