Not applicable

CFPB could get shut down

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: CFPB could get shut down

Great article. Thanks for sharing. We need the CFPB. If it had not been for them, TU would not have removed my fed tax lien from my CR. CFPB is really a blessing in disguise, especially for the little consumers.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is only two reasons why they are talking about shutting down the CFPB

1. It's an Obama era agency run by a Democrat and

2. They have total autonomy

both things the current White House hate to see. 

Message 3 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not surprising but hope this doesn't happen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/business/consumer-financial-protection-bureau.html

It would be so sad if he were to do that.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is completely IMO, but the financial co's got too used to having (largely) run of place and now that there is someone else at the plate with similar batting weight, they are crying foul. (Not that I don't understand the benefit that big banks, investment co's, CRA's etc do provide.) The article is right that the public has a neutral-to-positive regard of CFPB (either hasn't heard of it, or loves it because it's for the little person). I think CFPB is a good counterbalance, obviously. I hope they stick around and aren't neutered. Cordray is more appreciated by this lone "little guy" in his current position than he'd be as gov of OH. However, I understand he has to do what he feels led to do. We'll see where it all goes.

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

All government power needs to be in check. Most of the articles I've read are about accusations against the CFPB in regards to overreach, and are not looking for a total shut down.

Message 6 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All government power needs to be in check. Most of the articles I've read are about accusations against the CFPB in regards to overreach, and are not looking for a total shut down.

As does corporate power. Which is precisely what CFPB is all about.

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting close to political commentary which is a no no.  Lets try to discuss the article without it. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation

Message 8 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Getting close to political commentary which is a no no.  Lets try to discuss the article without it. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation

This thread shows the difficulty of avoiding "political commentary".

Economic and regulatory policies implemented by government are inherently political.

Why doesn't MyFICO just set up a topic "Credit politics" and relegate all 'political' discussions to that topic, instead of barring it altogether?

The CFPB is an important credit-related topic, but it is an inherently political one.

There is simply no way to discuss it without discussing the politics of it.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This thread shows the difficulty of avoiding "political commentary".

Economic and regulatory policies implemented by government are inherently political.

Why doesn't MyFICO just set up a topic "Credit politics" and relegate all 'political' discussions to that topic, instead of barring it altogether?

The CFPB is an important credit-related topic, but it is an inherently political one.

There is simply no way to discuss it without discussing the politics of it.

I agree that certain credit topics can be difficult to discuss without involving politics.  I'm not MrFICO but when the forum was created 10 years ago it was decided that certain subjects like politics, sex, religion, nationality and race would be taboo.  Political discussion, as I'm sure you are well aware, can be very heated and often leads to less than friendly arguments back and forth and if there were a separate froum it probably would require  a lot of extra work for Moderators.  I think the main focus of the FICO forums can be achieved without involving politics so I highly doubt that this type of forum would ever be created. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.